Lack of interest Username Changes - Maximum number of changes allowed

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

marquisite

A 'Maximum number of changes allowed' user permission could be a great addition to the recently announced XF2.2 Username Change Management system. 'Minimum time between changes' is already excellent but it could be even better with both permissions.

With this suggestion implemented, administrators could set different maximum change limits for certain user groups. Administrators could possibly combine this with user group promotions and/or paid user upgrades to enable someone to unlock a larger quota of permitted username changes. For example, you could require someone to compose 10 forum posts in order to change their username more than twice.

I currently utilise a third-party username change add-on which can limit how many times someone can change their username over the lifetime of their account, in addition to restricting how frequently these changes are permitted. I have configured both of these permissions.

Thank you for considering this suggestion :D.

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Makes sense to me. We usually only allow one username change ever and this could be emulated by setting the minimum time to smth. like 100 years.
But for those qwo do want to allow more username changes but not "infinity" it would be great to have a limit.

We usually only allow one username change ever and this could be emulated by setting the minimum time to smth. like 100 years.

@Kirby would someone have to be registered on your site for those 100+ years before they are able to change their name? I'm not sure if 'Minimum time between changes' checks how long an account has been created for when requesting a name change for the first time :unsure:. Edit: After re-reading the HYS posts, it would seem that the answer to this question is yes. I have quoted the relevant part of the post below (emphasis is my own):
Next, we've added an option so that you can control how frequently a user can change their usernames. By default we have set this to 30 days but it can be set to a much higher value, if desired, or set to a lower value or even 0 so users can change their usernames as frequently as they like. This is also the amount of time that needs to pass after a new user registers before they're able to change their username for the first time.

Good point, although that thread contains a number of suggestions, which might to keep track of if only some aspects are implemented.

Last edited:
@Kirby would someone have to be registered on your site for those 100+ years before they are able to change their name? I'm not sure if 'Minimum time between changes' checks how long an account has been created for when requesting a name change for the first time :unsure:.
As I haven't see any code yet so I can only speculate that the system will save the last timestamp of a username change; if no change has been made so far it would allow the change no matter what the Minimum time is set.

Top Bottom