XF 2.2 Username change unchanged in quoted content

Thanks for the replies.

This is something that is starting to occur on a regular basis. It's especially problematical if you are trying to properly anonymize an account. In my view it's a problem that needs a solution.

Is it expected behavior that after a username change, quoted content posted by that member retains the original username?

A member is facing this and found 12 posts still bearing his former name.

Is there a solution, yes, an addon or something that could change usernames not only for the member's ID, but every single instance, including names that are found in replies or quoted by other users?

As well, the old username still shows in reactions (Likes, etc).

Is this something that can be fixed at the AP or does it require diving into the server's database?

Thanks for any help,

Andre

EDIT! I noticed all posts in questions are 7 years and older.
Is there a setting somewhere to make username changes to cover all time?

Last edited:
In my experience people mostly will not contact site staff about the issue but will just report the offending urls to Google. Which is not good.

I believe the only way to change it is with an addon or a database query. It's not possible to change quote usernames as its just text in the bbcode.

I believe the only way to change it is with an addon or a database query. It's not possible to change quote usernames as its just text in the bbcode.
I guess the question is: when a username is changed, Xenforo's software seems to go back 7 years to modify all instances.

What happens beyond that? Can we modify the setting to reach up to 20 years? Some forums have converted from older forum software and have existed for much longer than Xenforo has existed.

But can this limitation be modified?

EDIT: I was wrong, it is not limited by time (7 years). It's about location: Usernames are changed, but placed in a post, they are not changed.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there is logic in the software to change quote usernames going back 7 years. I don't believe quote usernames are changed at all, hence this suggestion:

Of course I could be wrong. Something could have changed since. Perhaps @Paul B could shed light.

Xenforo's software seems to go back 7 years to modify all instances.
i am confused about this. if you do a find and replace using an addon or directly in database, it should work on all instances as specified in the command. there is no automatic replacement of old ids either in quotes or in mentions. the few times i faced this, i just ran a mysql query in phpmyadmin to replace the unique userid with a generic name. and it should work everywhere unless specifically restricted.

i am confused about this. if you do a find and replace using an addon or directly in database, it should work on all instances as specified in the command. there is no automatic replacement of old ids either in quotes or in mentions. the few times i faced this, i just ran a mysql query in phpmyadmin to replace the unique userid with a generic name. and it should work everywhere unless specifically restricted.

Thanks, I will look into this.

The command I use to do basic find and replace in post commands is this:

UPDATE xf_post SET message = REPLACE(message, 'Original', 'Replacement');

Of course, do tests, take backups and make sure it does not end up doing an unexpected text change coz it would be irreversible. If the userid is something unique like @creativeforge, it should be fairly safe to do.

Top Bottom