Username and extra Displayname?

Rico

Hello,

i don´t find any information if xF meets my requierement:

I need a "DisplayName" additional to the uesername. For a single sign on solution the username is an integer-value of a given member-database. It should only be used to sign in.

The DisplayName ist the name of the user and sould be used on all places where normaly the userename is used.

Is there any solution for that in xF?

At the moment i have a license of IPB because this meets this requierement, but i wouldn´t use ist because of the slow speed and the complicate change of styles.

Thank you and rgds
Rico

In my solution the portal should be the master an Xenforo the slave. I think in this case it isn´t possible to hook in using the Framework. It should be an external file using the Xenforo.

Is there anybody who wants to do this as a payed job?

Anything is possible, within reason.

You could use the XenForo External Auth mechanism to allow people to "register" to your forum with an account system that you're using. Would you be able to tell us what your SSO system is based-on? E.g. Shibboleth, etc.
If your SSO/USO system supports OAuth or OpenID standards, that should be relatively easy to implement. If you have the ability to query your internal user database, you wouldn't be limited to these standards and could use other means. Existing External Auth providers already occur in the forms of Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Steam, so looking at those for an example and creating an adaptation for your own system should be possible for you or an experienced programmer.

The way the external auth system works, in a very basic fashion...

Forum User ID - Provider Type - External Provider ID
1 - MySystem - 1775277364

So the forum associates an external unique identity with a forum's user id. From what you said in your opening message, I'm guessing your existing user database has user IDs similar to the above (albeit, shorter or longer in length). With the way that XenForo is set-up, you shouldn't need a "Display Name" field as the accounts would be tied via the External Auth table. Just allow the Username to serve as a Display Name and disable direct XenForo logins if you want people to continue to login via their SSO details.

If you're looking for Programmers, AKA "Mercenaries for Hire", you can always check the "Custom Service" or "Third-Party Offers" (available to licensed members).

Where there's a will, there is always a way. Whether that be modding to create a "Display Name" user field, or whether it's integrating a full external login.

Hope this doesn't confuse you too much, and hope it helps.

Yes, you bring me closer to my solution. The Portal uses SAML in an own impelemtation. I will use a file for doining the external login in this form:

sso.php?assertion=kjfkjkljdlkjahd&mail=user@domain.tld

With the assertion i can query ma database an get all the needed informationen for this user. ie:

userid: 154674
username: John Doe

On results of my query to my database i have to be able to set permissions (access rights to several formums).

Do you have a link for me to the External Auth API so i could get an overview of the functions? (I´ve done this an my IP Board, but i think XenForo would be the beter choice)

Top Bottom