XF 2.0 Usergroup-less User

XnForFanKN

We have a user on our Xenforo forum that appears to not be in any usergroup. What happened was that I needed to make a change to one of their settings, so I opened up their profile in the Admin Control Panel. In there, their profile showed them as having Administrative as their primary usergroup. They are supposed to be just a Registered member, so I looked at the User History to see how they got moved. However, nothing showed them being moved. I then did a search of the Administrative usergroup to verify that they were indeed in there. However, they were not.

I then did a search of their username in Administrative, and nothing came up. I then did a search of their username in Registered, and nothing came up. I then did a search of their username without specifying any usergroups, and it again pulled them up and showed them in Administrative.

So, what I think is happening is that they are actually not in any usergroup at all. However, since the drop down box in the user profile doesn't have the option of "no usergroup", something has to be selected. Administrative is the first option in the list, so I think with no usergroup it is just defaulting to the top alphabetical order choice when displaying their profile.

I also ran the analyze permissions for them, and it shows a No for everything but it doesn't let me click the Details. Generally, it would let me click Details which would say which usergroups are giving them which permissions. But here, Details don't open. They do open for other users though.

So, what would cause someone to be in no usergroup? Is that even possible? I assume I can probably fix the problem by just selecting Registered and re-saving their profile, but I would like to know why and how this might have happened. Especially if other users might be having the same issue. What would the underlying cause be for something like this?

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
Look at your logs, user, moderator, and admin.
Another thought, have you looked at your phpmyadmin for that particular user? There might be some clue there.

They are in a group, just one that doesn't exist. Your break down of why it's showing them in the admin group is right though.

Generally speaking, we've only seen things like this when manual DB manipulation was involved. (Or, theoretically, if a group was deleted but some code was prevented from running to handle users in that group.)

Identifying the cause will tend to be difficult, so at this point, you may just need to adjust their group(s) manually.

Top Bottom