User Upgrades - Successful strategies?

DarkIce2

Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone else has had success implementing user upgrades for bringing additional revenue to their site.

What are some potential strategies to make paying for a subscription to the site more worth it, other than being a "supporting member"? I can see some things like giving additional access to discussion boards, but I'm wondering what other strategies might be useful here to make it more worth it for members to subscribe or do a one-time payment upgrade.

Thanks for any feedback!

There are many things you can do.

For example
  • give more PM storage space to supporting members
  • allow supporting members to send images in pms
  • remove all ads for supporting members
  • allow supporting members to edit ads for longer period of time

stuff like that...

I charge a flat rate for 1 year. Then they have to re upgrade.

For example
  • give more PM storage space to supporting members
  • allow supporting members to send images in pms
  • remove all ads for supporting members
Ditching your forum and using another service such as Gmail solves all three issues without paying.

Unless the site is a marketplace for buying/selling/trading, increased PM storage will discourage people who want to talk to others. Why stay on your forum and be required to pay when there are instant messengers and emailing services available?

Disabling image bb code for PMs can do the same. It dulls the user experience. I can understand disabling attachments (for more server space, people understand) but taking it far enough where you would strictly stop images is another story.

Then there is AdBlock. If someone really wants ads gone, they'll do it. I've given members the option of disabling ads through their settings.

What you should offer depends on what type of forum you own.

- If you own a marketplace, you could set up options where the buyer/seller gets more exposure of their listing.
- If you own a gaming site with gaming servers, you can offer in-game perks to help players, but don't make it "pay to win" (people hate it).
- If you have a chatting forum, have fancy stuff like colored usernames or ribbons, custom profile backgrounds, more themes, etc.

Another thing that I've found out from my experience with user upgrades.. More people tend to buy user upgrades when it is a permanent option that does not expire after 3/6/12 months. You can also offer an optional recurring payment option for those who just want to keep supporting the site as more money means more development/time invested into the forum.

Back in 2013, @xIsabel38 made a thread with some useful info too which you can read here.

Unless the site is a marketplace for buying/selling/trading, increased PM storage will discourage people who want to talk to others. Why stay on your forum and be required to pay when there are instant messengers and emailing services available?

Many forums are just that -- Mine are car forums and there are thousands of ads posted every month for parts. These transactions are finalized in PMs as most people don't want their email address, shipping address and payment information in the public sphere.

Then there is AdBlock. If someone really wants ads gone, they'll do it. I've given members the option of disabling ads through their settings.

True, but you can replace the ads that are blocked as I do. Once I move to XF2 I plan to commission an addon to help better deal with adblocker users.

You can also offer an optional recurring payment option for those who just want to keep supporting the site as more money means more development/time invested into the forum.

Part of user upgrade success is fostering a community atmosphere where your members appreciate your efforts and realize it costs time and money to make things run well.

Top Bottom