Duplicate User selectable Report Reason.

Alpha1

This suggestion is very simple: let users select a reason when they report a post. Just like Facebook:

Screenshot_2019-07-13 .png

The report reason would then be displayed as a Report Prefix.
The idea is that admins would be able to define what report reasons they want to display. If any.
This is not a suggestion for anything more.

Related (but different) Suggestion:

Last edited:
Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
In my opinion, stuff like hate speech shouldn't be an option as it doesn't exist within the US. But, if you enforce it, you're becoming a publisher over a platform (what we're fighting today).

But, buttons over a text box as a reason set by admins how they see fit would be welcoming.

It only takes 1 second to click "nudity" over typing it out. And, there can be a "misleading information" button where the admin can read, research, and respond as opposed to delete.

Leaving the textbox for a report blank leaves it as a guessing game whereas a quick report button can lead us to make quicker decisions (as I'm sure most won't type out a paragraph for a reason).

In my opinion, stuff like hate speech shouldn't be an option as it doesn't exist within the US.

I've seen plenty of it from and in the US.

But why expect all forums to be based on the US anyway? Can they not be International ?

I've seen plenty of it from and in the US.
You haven't seen plenty of it in the US because it's a made-up term (in the US) for anything you or I find offensive and enforced by a governing body (in this case, forum owners and community members) that may have a differing opinion of what "hate speech" or what is "offensive" is. See Supreme Court case, R.A.V. v. City of St. Paul, 505 U.S. 377 (1992).

Furthermore, if forum owners in the US start to enforce hate speech across the board without specific guidelines and applying it to both sides (i.e. you calling me a 'left-handed person' and I'm offended so you get a warning and me calling you a 'right-handed writer' and you're offended so I get a warning), a forum changes from a platform to a publisher, so there is no protection for forum owners anymore applying 'hate speech' as it can aggressively be biased and there are no real arbitrators on the matter, thus it's best to stay out of it and break it up.
In my opinion, stuff like hate speech shouldn't be an option as it doesn't exist within the US.
But why expect all forums to be based on the US anyway? Can they not be International ?
As to why I left it up to admins and agreed that the buttons and/or selections should be editable, much like the "Dislike" reaction comes core, but it isn't enabled by default.
But, buttons over a text box as a reason set by admins how they see fit would be welcoming.

We often/daily get reports by members who do not understand what the report system is for. They intend to reply to the post that they are reporting or just completely misunderstand the report function. Having user selectable report reasons would force them to think about their submission and prevent such erroneous reports. This would save time.

The idea is that admins would be able to define what report reasons they want to display. If any.

We often/daily get reports by members who do not understand what the report system is for. They intend to reply to the post that they are reporting or just completely misunderstand the report function. Having user selectable report reasons would force them to think about their submission and prevent such erroneous reports. This would save time.

This is a good point. We also get people using the report button as a reply

Or we also get them reporting something for what may appear a spurious reason, e.g. this post looks a bit weird. It would help us if we know more about what they meant.

So for me a list of report reasons (including hate speech! ) including a general one, e.g. Other: Which of our forum rules is it violating?

Sometimes it is not so easy, as trolling, stalking or bullying can often build up over a series of posts until the last straw

(Maybe a button for Last straw?

Top Bottom