XF 2.2 User Promotion "Promoted Member" and Node Without "Count messages posted in this forum toward user total"

Steve Freides

We run a user promotion entitled "Promoted Member" that was given as an example when we first started using XenForo in 2015 if memory serves. It's pretty simple - the "Apply this promotion while ..." is based on whether the user has posted at least 3 times. If they have, they are added to a group called Verified.

My problem is that our forum has a couple of nodes for which "Count messages posted in this forum toward user total" is not enabled, and if a user posts only in one of those forums, the promotion doesn't run for them. IOW, the "Count messages ..." totals is used for this as well as for other purposes - but we don't want it to be.

Is there any workaround for this? I don't want certain nodes to count towards a user's total except for the purposes of this promotion, wherein I'd like all message to count.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-

Would that work?
That’s huge but I’m not aware of any length restrictions.

As I see it the challenges are still creating a way to show a list of training logs and also, with it being that established, you end up with two systems, old. (Threads) and new (profiles).

I developer may be able to import old into new though.

As I see it the challenges are still creating a way to show a list of training logs and also, with it being that established, you end up with two systems, old. (Threads) and new (profiles).
Yes, that would be the show-stopper here. Our training log section is all that some people use, posting what they do but also asking questions within their training log, and lots of our users frequent that section.

FWIW and in case anyone is interested, because these things can contain personal information, I have two sections/nodes: Training Logs, and Training Logs for Members Only. The idea is that bots and guests cannot see the contents of the ... Members Only section. It seems to work well as a model for us - some people are happy being public with their training while others are not.

So, upon reflection, I think we need to stay with our current structure. The choice, if we went with profile posts, would be that you'd have to Follow a person's training log if you were interested in it, or use New Profile Posts the same way you use the regular New Posts.

An interesting discussion - thank you to everyone who's participated.

-S-

One idea is, don't let users post in the log forum until they post x times in another area. This way they are promoted before they post there, which grants them that access. So, you can keep post count off there and they will still be promoted. A friendly notice to post in the community before being able to post a training log will do it.

Last edited:
One idea is, don't let users post in the log forum until they post x times in another area. This way they are promoted before they post there, which grants them that access. So, you can keep post count off there and they will still be promoted. A friendly notice to post in the community before being able to post a training log will do it.
That wouldn't be in keeping with how our forum works, I'm afraid. There are a core of people who post regularly, but there are people who've been registered members for years and have never posted. The reason I started this thread was that we have someone who's posted exactly once in our other forum areas, was suggested to start a training log based on his first post, and now that's all he does: post in his training log. We'd be asking him to essentially make up content.

My workaround has been pretty simple - if I notice the same name coming up over and over in the moderation queue, I investigate by ACP-> Edit and also by looking at their public profile for what they've posted. In a case like the one I just described, I simply manually add the user to Verified and I'm done. It happens rarely enough that this isn't a big deal to do, but also often enough that I came here looking for a better solution. :)

-S-

You basically have 2 options. Remove the promotion. Not sure 3 posts makes a member "Verified" anyway. Or if it's needed just enable post count in the log forum. Pretty simple. Don't overthink it. 🤷‍♂️

You basically have 2 options. Remove the promotion. Not sure 3 posts makes a member "Verified" anyway. Or if it's needed just enable post count in the log forum. Pretty simple. Don't overthink it. 🤷‍♂️
3 posts works well for me. The promotion works well for me. We get a lot of spammers who clear everything and the only way I know is to monitor their first post. We've had people figure out what we do, and when I see that first post, I have a group of people setup just for those I think are going to be spammers but are trying not to be on their first post, and if I notice it, then they remain in moderation until I take them out. The 3 post setting lets me catch some of those I didn't notice on their first post or two.

-S-

Do it for a month, see how it makes life easier, and see if anyone notices or complains. It's easy to change back and rebuild the post count. I bet the only one it bothers is you, so maybe you can accept that change seeing that it works out.

Do it for a month, see how it makes life easier, and see if anyone notices or complains. It's easy to change back and rebuild the post count. I bet the only one it bothers is you, so maybe you can accept that change seeing that it works out.
I'm inclined to agree. It's the simple solution. Unless your members are really fixated on their post count. I think what you are asking for can be done but not easily, so it's either forget it or throw money at a developer.

I bet the only one it bothers is you,
True, that.

I think what you are asking for can be done but not easily, so it's either forget it or throw money at a developer.
I will see if the add-on mentioned earlier in the thread might do what I want and, if not, I might consider paying a developer. As an ex-developer, I don't consider it "throw[ing] money." My experience with custom XF work is that it's very inexpensive.

I'm outta this one, folks - thank for your input, much appreciated and food for thought.

-S-

Top Bottom