XF 1.4 User Groups

Valhalla

I wanted some advice on setting up user groups.

My intention is to have ALL users with the Primary User Group set to "Registered".

From here, my Secondary User Groups will have two purposes: styling (naming) and permissions. For example, I will have "permissions" secondary user-groups (Administrative, Moderating). The remaining user groups will be for styling purposes. The "styling" user groups will have all permissions set to "Not Set (No)", because I want permissions to be inherited from the other "permissions" user groups (Administrative and/or Moderating). So, I may have a "styling" Secondary User Group which alters things like the user banner and username CSS, etc. Is this a good approach?

Also, if I had a single permission which I needed to grant, could I have a permission user-group with all permissions set to "Not Set (No)", except the single permission that I wished to grant (set to "Allow")?

I wanted some advice on setting up user groups.

My intention is to have ALL users with the Primary User Group set to "Registered".
Good stuff. That is the correct way to do it, as per this thread.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

From here, my Secondary User Groups will have two purposes: styling (naming) and permissions. For example, I will have "permissions" secondary user-groups (Administrative, Moderating). The remaining user groups will be for styling purposes. The "styling" user groups will have all permissions set to "Not Set (No)", because I want permissions to be inherited from the other "permissions" user groups (Administrative and/or Moderating). So, I may have a "styling" Secondary User Group which alters things like the user banner and username CSS, etc. Is this a good approach?
If the styling is not directly related to particular secondary user group then yes, do it this way. If however the styling is only to be used by a specific group with associated permissions e.g. Moderating then you may as well just use one group for that rather than two (permissions group and styling group).

Also, if I had a single permission which I needed to grant, could I have a permission user-group with all permissions set to "Not Set (No)", except the single permission that I wished to grant (set to "Allow")?
Absolutely. The number of permissions being granted by a particular user group can be anything you like. Just set up and use the secondary user groups to suit your needs.

Top Bottom