1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 User Groups help

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Visual Temper, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Visual Temper

Visual Temper Member

Hi guys, so i need a little help, ive only just been able to purchase my XF license and finally started my new forums! How ever, i would like it so that when guests and newly registered members (0 posts) can only see one forum and have to create a discussion in that forum to unlock the rest of the board, is this possible or am i asking to much?

i do not want it as an add on i just simply want to create the user group so the can only see the "Introduce Yourself" Forum
    i want it because it will help stop spam and is just a little added security i suppose

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Revoke the view permission for all forums other than that one and create a user group promotion for 1 post, with the promoted user group having view permissions for the other forums.

Note though that the post count is for all posts, which includes replies.
    It's not possible to do a promotion based on thread count only.

3. Visual Temper

Visual Temper Member

Thats ok, i would rather them let the community know they are there before they can go ahead and "use" the main feautures :)
    can i not make it so they cant reply to a thread but only create a thread?

4. Brogan

Yes, you can revoke that permission (Post replies) in that node only.

5. Visual Temper

Visual Temper Member

Great, if I revoke access to categories will it save the issue of doing the other forums also?
    when they sign up i want to make them introduce their self to the community before they can post unlock the rest of the forums

6. Brogan

Yes, it propagates down to the child nodes.

7. Visual Temper

Visual Temper Member

now, ive created the user promotion, how can i change their permission?
    ive set the upgrade to user has to post 1 message
    but i cant find permissions anywhere, do i have to create another user group?

8. Visual Temper

Visual Temper Member

I cant find permissions on user upgrades :/

9. Brogan

10. Visual Temper

Visual Temper Member

ive done the following, so in user prmotion ive created "Member" and i also created a "Member" user group
    in user group promotion i have the following
    Promotion Active
    add user to group Member
    and to be promoted user must post at least 1 message (That must be a topic created?)

but the test account is not being auto promoted for some reason and when i try and manual promote nothing neither

11. Visual Temper

Visual Temper Member

12. Brogan

I've just added this to my criteria add-on, which you may be interested in:
    upload_2015-11-20_20-3-26.png

I'll be releasing the update later.

13. Brogan

14. Visual Temper

Visual Temper Member

Thank you, This is great!
    Just what i was after!
    Sorry it was a while and a pointless reply but my internet has been cut off due to the bad weather