Use of trademarks and images question

I have a rather general question but perhaps I can break it down a little more specifically.

Say I wanted to make a forum on video games. Am I allowed to post images of game characters, screen shots, mention game console names, company names etc etc. I mean isn’t this breach of copyright? Yet I see many websites have been doing this for years so I’m a little confused.
Thanks

As you're using those images for the purposes of discussion on a forum community that would generally come under Fair Use:
In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship.

I personally would be very careful about using copyrighted images, even under a fair use policy.

I have just started out and made sure that my TOS include the need to recognise any third party images and the like.

In the UK where I am there have been instances of organisations having images taken down where an agreement hasn't been reached.

Just make sure that you include "Call of Duty: Advance Warefare and all content related are copywrite 2014 Activision" Blah blah blah. I have seen this used many times and have used it without any issues. Like Olly said above me, Just make sure that you include in your TOS as well. Should cover you there.

Many publishers in the gaming industry have some kind of media/fan kits to use on your website and rules regarding the use of their copyrighted stuff. Have a look at their links and terms of use, and in doubt simply contact them.

Top Bottom