Lack of interest Uploader to have field require user rights confirmation

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Mr Lucky

I would like to have a tick box on the uploader, that requires users to confirm they have the rights to the material they are uploading.

It wouldn't solve all the problems we face regarding copyright (especially in the light of the upcoming EU regulations), but it may help cut down on some uploading of copyright material.

upload rights.webp

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Whilst I understand where you are coming from, I think the correct route is to have a condition in a site's terms and rules about this and, if necessary, use the force accept feature so that all members have to agree to the rules. Making every member every single time tick a box for uploads (which would also have to be integrated into the attachments section to) is a PITA and users would likely just tick it anyway irrelevant of whether or not the content is theirs or they have permission.

Whilst I understand where you are coming from, I think the correct route is to have a condition in a site's terms and rules about this and, if necessary, use the force accept feature so that all members have to agree to the rules. Making every member every single time tick a box for uploads (which would also have to be integrated into the attachments section to) is a PITA and users would likely just tick it anyway irrelevant of whether or not the content is theirs or they have permission.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but we all know that users read every single word of the T & Cs. :LOL:.

We do have that condition on our forum, and members will upload something copyright, we give them a warning and they just say "oops, sorry I missed that but in the T & C or whatever." This would be in addition to the T & C, belt and braces is often a good idea IMO.

It's actually a feature that could go beyond the uploader though, I suppose the ability to have custom fields in various places, maybe also in the contact form

Last edited:
I'm afraid that users will read this with the same attention as the T&C and the dozens of cookie warnings they encounter every day on the net. People just get a blind spot for these things. They just see another tickbox & hurdle.

I'm afraid that users will read this with the same attention as the T&C and the dozens of cookie warnings they encounter every day on the net. People just get a blind spot for these things. They just see another tickbox & hurdle.

Some will, others won't.

Besides it's also a way to educate if they can't use the excuse "why expect me to read all those T&C" or "sorry I forgot"

At least it will make them stop and think before they knowingly do something we specifically don't want them to do.

Last edited:
It does not help your website. If a user uploads copyrighted material you are still on the hook for it. All it gets you is some ammo when taking action against the user. Also in all likelihood, you get more copy and pasted post then you do other items. I have received about a dozen takedown notices in 7 years and only one of those involved images.

Top Bottom