XF 2.1 Upgrading big forum (millions of posts) to 2.2 - anything special need to be done?

Feanor

The forum was imported to XF by someone else shortly after 2.1 came out. I understand imports may require special attention for big forums, but what about updates? I've only run minor updates since then, but would like to go to 2.2. Possibly even 2.1 to 2.3 instead, depending on how things line up with whenever it releases. Am I free to run the update as usual or does it have a high chance for something to go wrong/slow? Is it any different from minor updates?

Solution
You should use the CLI upgrader for larger sites, if possible.

The upgrade script will prompt you to do that when you run it.

That will require an SSH or similar log in.
You should use the CLI upgrader for larger sites, if possible.

The upgrade script will prompt you to do that when you run it.

That will require an SSH or similar log in.

Solution
Found this old question in the search box.

I'd just like to add the suggestion that a forum can be copied onto a local PC and hacked about with there safely and just start over if it goes bad. I assume you've upgraded by now, but one can do that copy, then run the upgrader in the ACP and then test for issues. If all ok, or only minor issues, then backup everything on the live site and try the same thing there. Always worth trying out the simple solutions first, if possible as it could save a whole lot of time and effort.

Hope this helps someone.

Top Bottom