upgrading an iMac - is it possible?

It doesn't look easy to me.

As their iPod's don't have a memory cart slot I'm guessing their iMac's won't have a simple valve to add something xD
Specialized companies do it though.

You can upgrade memory assuming enough slots and if it's the right kind of iMac, you can add extra hard drives, but that is the extent of hardware customization (oh and replacing mouse/keyboard). Liz

The RAM and hard drive are upgradable in almost every computer including the iMac.

When buying a new system I always recommend upgrading the RAM. Lack of RAM can be a huge drag on performance. 8GB is what I recommend for desktop computing and gaming.

The hard drive is a component that is often overlooked when it comes to performance. The hard drive is the slowest component in any computer. I recommend an Intel SSD if you can afford it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167024

_____

Other than the RAM and hard drive, upgradability should not factor into your purchasing decision. Future upgrade options are often limited. In many situations you get better bang for your buck by simply buying a new system every few years. This is especially true for consumer systems like iMacs.

I would rethink buying an iMac.

My iMac (from the first generation with intel) made nothing but trouble.. :(
Exactly after two years (when the warranty ended...) a CD got caught in the drive. I had to bring the computer to the next store where it took 2 days to get that damned CD out of the drive and it costs me 80,- Euro. :o
A few weeks later (when summer came...) the iMac started overheating... extremly. So i could use it just for a few hours (about 2 to 3) before i had to turn it off again to cool down...
But soon that didn´t matter anymore. Because the TFT-Screen got an interessting error, it got a complete horiztontal line of dead pixels. After a few weeks there were two of these lines... and a third... replacing the TFT would cost nearly the same price as a complete new iMac... :o

If that had been my first Mac i would have switched back to PCs ;)

So you see, most "upgrading" on an iMac is done by external hardware (now thats spoils the design... lots of cables, USB-hubs and boxes with harddrives etc. on the table...) or can´t be done at all and repairs tend to be extremly expansive when the warranty expires. :(

For your first Mac i would recommend buying the new MacMini and when you like MacOs X (what´s not to like? ;) ) you can save up for a MacPro. Or a MacBook (pro)?

It is a myth that Mac's can't be upgraded, in fact, they are easier to upgrade than most PC's, especially the Macbook Pro's.

A few weeks later (when summer came...) the iMac started overheating... extremly. So i could use it just for a few hours (about 2 to 3) before i had to turn it off again to cool down...

A friend has an iMac which had the same problem with overheating. He was only playing WOW, and it would only let him play about 10 minutes before he had to stop, or turn off his mac. This might be a sticking point for me. I can see why it has heat problems since all the components are housed right into the monitor.

Switched from PCs to an iMac over 3 years ago. I would never go back to a Windows system.

And yes, iMacs are upgradable as already pointed out.

Top Bottom