"Upgrade Proof" Style Changes

Hello,

I think I read this in one of Brogan's posts, but I wanted to make sure it was confirmed so that I go about making my style changes correctly.

Is it true that if I customize a theme via the Style Properties in ACP, those changes won't be reflected in an upgrade? I should instead make all of my style changes via EXTRA.css? If this is the case, what would your advice be for someone who doesn't know CSS well? Is there another way I could back up the Style changes so that they are reflected in a future upgrade?

Thanks,
Greg

Style Properties and EXTRA.css aren't affected by upgrades; any changes you make will apply in future upgrades.

The only caveat to this is when the Style Property itself changes, as with the node icons in 1.1.

It's manually editing templates which may be affected by an upgrade; if the template is changed between releases you will need to revert it and re-apply any customisations.

Style Properties and EXTRA.css aren't affected by upgrades; any changes you make will apply in future upgrades.

The only caveat to this is when the Style Property itself changes, as with the node icons in 1.1.

It's manually editing templates which may be affected by an upgrade; if the template is changed between releases you will need to revert it and re-apply any customisations.

So if I were to apply something like the Trophies on Profile pages (from this thread), that would be considered a manual edit of a template, right?

Yes.

If that template is changed in the base code for the next release then it would be marked as outdated.
This is from the FAQ:

What are outdated templates and why do I need to revert them? Can't I just continue using the old ones?
If a template is changed between releases, i.e. from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1, and you have manually edited it, then it will be marked as outdated. This is done because the software doesn't automatically overwrite those templates, thereby causing certain functionality which you have added to be lost. It is an indication that the core code has changed and you need to take action. The software will continue to function with these outdated templates but you may be missing important updates and bug fixes so it is recommended to revert and reapply any edits.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

Top Bottom