• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 2.0 Upgrade now or later?

RyanC

Active member
#1
I'm wanting to convert one of my forums to Xenforo from VB, but don't want to put my userbase through multiple updates in the same year... And, I want to be running on 2.0 for sure. Will I have to do a complete style redesign when upgrading from Xenforo 1.5 to 2? If so, I'll wait for the 2.0 release... but would prefer to get started now.
 

Triops

Well-known member
#3
I waited "too long" (took much longer to prepare and get everything together), so xf2 is already approaching. Would have been easier to decide without beta in sight ;)

But I'll for sure will migrate over from vb to xf1.5, because everything I know, all the successful test imports, all the addons I'll use is xf1.5. I prefer to switch soon and not wait for xf2 maybe 6 or more months and retry everything.
After migration I will slowly learn and change to xf2 later, so will my visitors...
 

Mr Lucky

Well-known member
#4
I'm wanting to convert one of my forums to Xenforo from VB, but don't want to put my userbase through multiple updates in the same year... And, I want to be running on 2.0 for sure. Will I have to do a complete style redesign when upgrading from Xenforo 1.5 to 2? If so, I'll wait for the 2.0 release... but would prefer to get started now.
Style redesign yes, but how onerous that is will depend on how customised the style is.

Default with a logo and some colour changes might take about 5 minutes.

However it will of course look different as you know, so subjecting your users to two changes is the issue as you say, i.e. vBulletin to xenforo1 will be a bit of shock for some of your userbase, so yet another change a month later (or whatever) may not be so good. I'd be tempted to wait, it can't be that long now. But for now I would install xenforo2 Development preview on a test server and play with it. There's a lot to learn.

(you won't yet be able to import vBulletin until there is a beta at which point there may be a vBulletin importer. If not you'd do it in two stages: vBulletin to xf1 then xf1 upgrade to 2.
 

OperaManiac

Well-known member
#5
upgrading now might be better as xf1.x is stable with tons of third party app and theme support. xf2 might not all the third party functionalities that you might need for your board at launch or even for months after launch. in any case, one might want to wait till 2.1 release for major bugs that are not detected during alpha and beta stables to be eradicated.