XF 2.3 Upgrade - how long does it take?

Jon12345

I have a forum running v2.2 and want to upgrade to v2.3. My intention is to run the upgrade using the command line, since I have 1.5M posts on my forum.

How long does it typically take for this command line operation to take? Is it like an hour? A day?

Depends on your host speed, CPU, memory and database... also I/O. 1.5M posts on CLI, I could see that converting in less than 30 minutes if you have proper hosting setup.

I haven't tested it on our largest site, but I will soon. 35 million posts.

I have a forum running v2.2 and want to upgrade to v2.3. My intention is to run the upgrade using the command line, since I have 1.5M posts on my forum.

How long does it typically take for this command line operation to take? Is it like an hour? A day?
How long did it take to run on your localhost/test server?

I don't think how long it takes for the upgrade to run is what is most important.
Outdated addons, phrases, templates and new settings is what I will try to find out on a localhost server, before trying to update a live site.

I have 2M posts and I've upgraded via the admincp. It took less than 30sec

Specs (VPS):
16GB RAM (I have a LearnDash WP add-on that is super RAM-hungry. Could handle XF with 8GB easily)
4 CPU Cores (I don't remember, but I think Xeon E3 v5)
200GB SSD Storage (HW-RAID10)

Last edited:
I have 2M posts and I've upgraded via the admincp. It took less than 30sec

Specs (VPS):
16GB RAM (I have a LearnDash WP add-on that is super RAM-hungry. Could handle XF with 8GB easily)
4 CPU Cores (I don't remember, but I think Xeon E3 v5)
200GB SSD Storage (HW-RAID10)
Wow, that was quick. So are we saying upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3 is Ok to do via the admincp? Or should I still be using the command line because I have 1.5M posts? Now I am confused. BTW, I only see "XenForo 2.2.16 Patch 2 is now available." in my control panel, not 2.3.

I have a bunch of Add-ons. Should I be going through every single one and disable them before the upgrade? When you disable an addon, does that lose all the data or just temporarily suspend their implementation?

I really think you should read my earlier post in the thread. The 10-20 other threads with people updating and now haveing problems suggests it might be wise.

I really think you should read my earlier post in the thread. The 10-20 other threads with people updating and now haveing problems suggests it might be wise.
I have been reading those threads. But I cannot see anything in those threads that say whether or not disabling an addon loses the data or config settings for that addon.

It's not just a matter of disabling them.

We have 2.5m and it took 3 minutes using the UI on a 2 x cpu 3G Virtual Server running Ubuntu

To re-iterate the comments above. You really ought to test this out somehow. We had several issues to resolve with add-ons (mainly from Xon)

I applied the upgrade and it took very little time, perhaps a couple of minutes, although I now have issues. All addons were disabled and non enabled at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom