Updating Add-Ons

Gene Steinberg

OK, here's a potential issue, which I haven't seen discussed.

Consider: with the plugin site for vBulletin, vbulletin.org, you are notified of updates for plugins, or see an "Updated" label next to the thread containing information about that folder.

Are there plans to perform a similar move for your add-ons? At the very least, add-on developers could put the date of the last release in the thread title, so you can scan for new versions quickly.

How is this being addressed? If you have a dozen or two add-ons, it can be time consuming to have to regularly check for possible updates, particularly when the core software gets an upgrade.

They are working on a resource manager that should handle this kind of issue, unsure when the timeline for it to be used here is however.

I'm not suggesting a third-party site. I'm suggesting a mechanism to easily notify users of updates. Is that what this "resource manager" is all about?

Also, is there a problem in sending our email notices of new messages? I've got all the proper checkboxes checked, but haven't seen any updates since yesterday.

So there will be an "update manager" inside Xenforo? Will this work like how Wordpress works where they alert you of plugin updates and you can do a 1-click upgrade?

Probably not in the software on your site, but more like you can come here and check for updates (maybe via a control panel?) {shrug}

I think some sort of update checking and notification system is needed for sure. I hate having to check for updates manually. :(

I will be adding this feature to any of my bigger add-ons. It has been added to XenTrader which I made for someone.

Something similar to MyBB's Check Plugin Updates would be nice. Something in the Admin CP telling us if there are newer versions and stuff.

This could be quite easily done in the following way. Get users to click installed in the add-on forum and then use the alerts system to notify them if there's a new attatchment to that thread. Or the thread starter could send out an alert to all those with the add-on marked as installed.

Top Bottom