1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Updating a Modified XenForo theme to the newest version?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Clovis, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Clovis

Clovis Member

I recently updated my Xenforo board successfully to 1.2 but this broke some elements of my theme. The theme has also been updated, I have done some extensive editing of the theme, modifying colors, texts and settings from the ACP. How can I take my current theme and merge over the possible changes to the new version? If possible.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

All of your changes should be done in a child style.

3. Clovis

Clovis Member

My style are set up like this: http://puu.sh/4jQ75.png I would need to upload the new version to the right "framework" ?

4. Brogan

I'm not familiar with frameworks but I suspect yes if it acts like a parent style.

5. Clovis

Clovis Member

I just named it like that, I find it easier to explain to other web admins and to understand what it does. Okay, Thanks for the quick answer. :D

6. Brogan

To clarify, you will still need to deal with the child style, customisations and outdated templates.

7. Clovis

Clovis Member

Thats the part that confuses me, not really sure how to proceedead.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Typically you'll upgrade the Parent style first, in your case your "framework".

Next... depending on what you've done to your child style templates, they may show up as "outdated", which you can use the new merge feature to combine your edits, and the updated templates from the parent.

Of course before anything... I'd make a backup.

9. Clovis

Clovis Member

And again, how do you merge them? Do you do it from the ACP or take the two XML files and merge them with notepad++ or something like that?

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Outdated Templates link:

outdatedtemps.png

Right side "merge changes"

11. Clovis

Clovis Member

So I upload the new.xml file and remove (?) the old framework, or keep it?

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Typically :

Backup XML's first
    Import NEW updated XML and overwrite PARENT

Then use the MERGE feature to do the outdated templates.

13. Clovis

Clovis Member

So I'm resolving it using the custom version? Or?
    [​IMG]