XF 1.1 Updated threads Feed

polle

I distribute the threads of my forum to other sites, the problem is that if 1 thread is updated or a new thread is created, the feed sends the latest 10 threads again and again.

I need the feed to show the real updated threads, not the whole thing again.

How can I set the feed to just show the latest real activity in the forum ?

I think what its needed is like this:

1- A feed for new threads only.
2- A feed for new activity only. (threads and replies to threads)

Now I have a global feed that publishes 10 threads all the time, repeatedly even when only 1 thread has activity.

How can I fix this ?

Thanks.

It is the responsibility of the receiver to check for duplicates. Normally the receiver checks the guid of each item in the feed to avoid posting the same items over and over. That's what XenForo does when it reads in an external feed.

I don't agree.

My feed reader reads what the feed has. Any content system in the web works like that.
If I publish one post in WordPress, the feed publishes 1 post, not the latest 10 every time. The same happens in VB, phpBB, joomla, etc...

For example, when I distribute to Facebook and Twitter my feeds, I don't want 8 times the same 10 threads published because of 1 thread updated, I want just that new content shown.

Makes sense ?

Using your method the server would somehow have to track what is new and what is not for each individual subscriber. There is no system in place for this. Guid checking on the receiving end is the standard method, where the receiver is responsible for knowing which items it has already downloaded.

Hey jake.

Well I will make an example here. I add a feed to facebook and a feed to google reader.

Both of them work perfect with any system you name, any other forum system as well, they publish and update just the updated content.

With Xenforo it updates with the latest 10 threads when only 1 thread is updated, it always send the latest 10.

How is it possible that every CMS and forum available in the word is working wrong and just Xenforo is ok ? Sorry, but its not like that and for sure there must be a fix for this.

Anyone that can help ?

Thanks.

The default XF feed. I send that to feedburner and from there to any feed reader or system to distribute. But the feed, is the default one.

For example I have my news, forum and gallery pointing to Facebook and twitter, that way each time new content is created in any of the three systems, people can be noticed via feed, Facebook or twitter. That worked for me for several years with a lot of different CMS and forum systems.

Now that my forum is in XF, I had to disable the forum from everywhere, because if a new thread was created, boom, 10 tweets and 10 Facebook posts were published. 3 hrs later another thread was created and boom, 10 tweets and Facebook post were published and so on.

So what all the other forum systems do, is just publish to the feed the new created content and not always the latest 10.

Also all systems and forums publish the title and content, which XF don't. XF just publish the latest 10 all the time and just the title.

And that's what I think that needs to be fixed or at least your help to fix it my self :)

I really appreciate it Jake.

Thanks.

Everything looks good with that feed. It's showing the latest content. The guids are good. And I tested it with a reader and it did not import any duplicates. Of course the duplicate checking is the job of the reader as I said before, so this might be a problem with your reader. I am not able to test it with Facebook because I don't use that service.

Yes it displays like that and correct, the problem is that when a new thread is created, you get the last 10 and not just the one created.

I beleive I explain it very well before, but if I am wrong and you are not understanding the problem, please let me know and I will do my best to explain it step by step to show whats the problem.

Thanks.

If you add that feed to any rss reader to send the information to another web app you will see the problem.

1- You add the feed to a facebook fan page, so the users can get the new threads when they are created.
- Well, when 1 thread is created, the latest 10 get posted to facebook, not just the one created.
- When another thread is created, the latest 10 threads are posted to facebook again, not just the one created.
So, for each update, facebook gets 10 posts. It should be 1 post, just the thread that was created and not the latest 10.

If the forum gets 10 new threads each day, in the facebook page you will see 100 new posts each day and 90 of them are repeating all the time, because they came with the latest 10 threads and not just the created thread.

2- If you add the feed to Twitter, so your followers can get what new threads are created, the same. The followers will get 100 tweets instead of 10, because the feed gives the latest 10 each time and not just the new created thread.

So, imagine I send you a mail and my mail program sends you the latest 10 mails I sent, instead of just the one. So you get 10 mails, the new one and the latest 9.
If I send you another mail 3 hours later, you will get 10 mails again, the new one and another 9, because the mail program sends the latest 10 mails.

There is something in the feed not working correctly, because as I said, any cms, script, forum system in the world work as expected, but not here.

I dont want to post the latest 10 threads all the time to other services, I want to post just the new created content as expected.

Better explained ?

Top Bottom