XF 2.2 Update from 1.5 to 2.2 - would it affect old vb redirects?

Ludachris

Well-known member
Just finished upgrading from 1.5 to 2.2. The forum used to run vb 3.8 prior to migrating to 1.5. We had redirects for all the old vb URLs that are scattered all over the forum and had rewrites/redirects implemented in the htacess file that seemed to be working up until this recent update - except for the links that pointed to specific posts with page numbers in the URL. I'm finding that links that should be working don't seem to be working now, but I can't tell for sure if they were working before, and of course now I can't compare.

Take a look at this post, and you'll see how the user created a handy index to point to each post in the thread. Should those links be redirecting? Is there a way to fix those?

From what I can tell, the link in the following post should redirect to the correct thread but it's not:

I can see the redirect code in the main htaccess file. Maybe something else got removed?

Should I try installing this add-on to see if it fixes things:
 

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
The URLs for XF haven't changed since the first release.

If you weren't using the XF1 add-on to redirect URLs and only using .htaccess, then no changes are required.

If the rewrites aren't working in XF2 then they were never working.

The add-on is only required if you didn't retain IDs when you did the import.
 

Ludachris

Well-known member
Well I know some were working before, I found them regularly. Not all of them worked. These ones might not have been working.

When I migrated from vb several years ago I remember using an import script from Slavik, and creating a db table for the redirects and setting up the htaccess file. Wondering if somewhere along the way I screwed something up.
 
Last edited:

briansol

Well-known member
Yeah, i had similar issues.
worked great on xf1, upgraded and most links stopped working.

I installed the siropu 404 tool, trapped them, and pattern matched the redirects to the correct pages as best i could.
 

briansol

Well-known member
There's been many comments about it:
 

Ludachris

Well-known member
I didn't have a redirect add-on installed in XF 1.5 - I'm guessing maybe it became available after I did my import (2014 or so). I did use an importer script though. I think what I'm going to do is try and dig through my db to find what the import table name was from that import and see if the new add-on fixes some of these issues. I guess that's all I can do. I'll check out that 404 tool Brian, thanks for sharing.
 
Top