As designed  Unlink doesn't unlink

I eventually realized that this was related to links that looked like URLs. The auto-linking of them is intentional (and I should note that it's done by some browsers automatically in the WYSIWYG editor). If you really need them to not be linked, then the plain tag can be used.

So when you link some text and the text doesn't look like a URL, you can "unlink" that. But if you paste a link without make it look like some other text, then it will always link it automatically.

Kind of confusing, but whatever the devs want...

I agree David. You'da thunk the Unlink button would produce something like [plain] and [/plain], so it would unlink any kind of URL. But yeah, what you said, it's confusing, but whatever the software developer wants.

Jim

[plain]http://google.com[/plain]

isnt it the same in other softwares where you put [noparse]http://google.com[/noparse] ?

I agree David. You'da thunk the Unlink button would produce something like [plain] and [/plain], so it would unlink any kind of URL. But yeah, what you said, it's confusing, but whatever the software developer wants.

Jim
The problem is that it's ambiguous. If I paste a URL in, chances are it's better for everyone if it's linked (I'm not sure what specific cases you wouldn't want it linked?). However, a lot of browsers don't automatically do that. Thus, it's not possible to (easily) know the difference between "don't link me" and "I'm not linked, but should I be?"

If I can figure out some way to resolve the ambiguity, then it's not an option. There's always the "don't automatically parse URLs" option, but I think that option didn't provide very much benefit and in the end just added complexity (and confusion because of the fact that it wasn't stored).

I like that forum software creates a link automatically whenever I post a URL. I like it when there is a code that will let me use anchor text for the SEO benefit (I especially like when that is automatic and can be over-ridden by creating my own anchor text). But occasionally I will post URLs only as examples, as I was doing when I discovered this problem. That's why I was confused that an Unlink button didn't actually unlink. If the standard way to unlink is to type in [plain] and [/plain], then maybe having a button that did just that would be nice - maybe call it the Unlink button. ;) If the current unlink button does the same thing [plain] and [/plain] does, then why not just have it do [plain] and [/plain]? It doesn't preclude one from typing it out manually in other places we don't want our BB code to parse.

Maybe I am just confusing an already confusing issue.

Jim

Top Bottom