Browser issue "Undo" Paste doesn't work with macOS Safari & Chrome

Alfuzzy

Affected version
Hopefully this hasn't been reported already. Checked all Bug Reports...didn't see it.

What happens (or doesn't happen)...when composing a post...if some text is copied & pasted...and if you wanted to undo the text that was just pasted...it doesn't "undo" (doesn't remove the recently pasted text).

The happens with every website I frequently visit running Xenforo 2.0 or newer (including Xenforo.com). It happens with multiple versions of the macOS...when using either Safari (multi-versions) or Chrome.

Thanks

What happens (or doesn't happen)...when composing a post...if some text is copied & pasted...and if you wanted to undo the text that was just pasted...it doesn't "undo" (doesn't remove the recently pasted text).
This works fine for me. CMD+Z, Chrome 85 and MacOS Catalina.

Ohh...are you running XF 2.2? If so...that could make a difference.

I'm running 2.1. Issue also happens here at Xenforo.com (not sure if Xenforo.com is running 2.1 or 2.2).

Thanks

Appears I'm not sure what you mean by drop down "Edit" menu?

"Undo Paste" can be done in at least two ways:

1. Keyboard shortcut of CMD+Z.
2. Selecting "Undo Paste" with the cursor from the "Edit" dropdown browser menu.

Undo paste is not working for me when when selecting "Undo Paste" from the browser menu.

While we can reproduce this, this doesn't appear to be an issue that is unique to XF, or its rich text editor. The same issue can be reproduced in many web apps, especially those that have rich text and code editors.

I'm sure as most of us know...there are two main ways of copying & pasting text...and how to "undo" these same text manipulations. Once the desired text is highlighted:

1. One way is to copy & paste using the dropdown browser menu's via the trackpad or mouse cursor...and selecting the desired commands.
2. Second way is to use keyboard shortcuts.

In this case the main issue is...these two methods are not achieving the same result (as they definitely should).

Here's an example using method #1:

1. Highlight any text in the XF message composition window.
2. Using an Apple computer and using Safari...go to the "Edit" drop down menu with the mouse or trackpad cursor...and select "Copy".
3. Click where the text that was just copied is to be pasted.
4. Again using the "Edit" dropdown menu in Safari...via mouse/trackpad cursor...select paste. So far all works fine.
5. Now let's say someone decides they want to undo the "paste" they just did. They once again go to the Safari "Edit" dropdown menu (via mouse/trackpad)...and they select "Undo Paste".
6. When "Undo Paste" is selected...nothing happens (zero).

This is exactly the issue I described in this thread. The "Undo Paste" command via the Safari & Chrome browser "Edit" dropdown menu does not do what it's supposed to do. No disagreement here...it's already been stated that this is reproducible.

Instead of using the browser drop down menu's...let's use keyboard shortcut commands for method #2:

1. Highlight any text in the XF message composition window.
2. Using an Apple computer and using Safari..copy the highlighted text using the 2-key combo of command+c.
3. Click where the text that was just copied is to be pasted.
4. Using an Apple computer and using Safari..paste the highlighted text using the 2-key combo of command+v.
5. Now let's say someone decides they want to undo the "paste" they just did. They use the 2 key combo of command+z to "undo" the paste they just did.
6. When the keyboard shortcut of command+z is used...the recently pasted text is removed (as it should).

I've visited vBulletin 3 & vBulletin 4 websites...and both the dropdown menu commands & keyboard shortcuts do the exact same thing (as they should). vBulletin 5 websites seem to act the same as XF (dropdown menu's & keyboard shortcuts do not do the same thing).

The big issue is...when doing this via browser dropdown menu's via the mouse cursor...the Undo Paste command does not work as it should. But if keyboard shortcuts are used (command+z)...Undo Paste works fine.

Whether the browser dropdown menu's are used or keyboard shortcuts are used...both should do exactly same thing. I've been an Apple user since 1986 (34 years)...and this is the very first time I've ever seen an inconsistency like this. Maybe other sites display this same behavior...this still doesn't make it right.

An analogy most of use can probably identify with is using Microsoft Word. When you do copying & pasting of text (and occasionally "Undoing" those commands)...whether you use the Microsoft Word:

• Drop down menu's (via mouse cursor)
  • Click the appropriate buttons on MS Word toolbar's
  • Or use Keyboard Shortcuts

...all of these methods achieve the exact same thing. This is not happening with XF message composition when using an Apple computer & using the Safari or Chrome browsers.:(. Maybe things work differently/same on Windows PC's (I have not tested this).

Apologies for so much detail. I wanted to be as detailed as possible...so others could give what's described a try to see if they can reproduce it. And if a fix can be done...all the info is here.:)

Thanks

Maybe other sites display this same behavior...this still doesn't make it right.
You are correct that it isn’t right but the simple fact of the matter is that it indicates that this is a bug at the OS level. It affects multiple browsers and multiple websites so the issue seems to be at a higher level.

The same issue seems to affect Google Docs and iCloud Pages though they, like we do, have their own undo button.

Other people certainly will be able to reproduce it but that won’t change our assessment of the issue, unfortunately.

I haven’t yet tried it in macOS 11 but hopefully it is something that changes positively there. Time will tell.

Top Bottom