Unable to get thread / post count and read / unread state for categories in API

Jake B.

Affected version
As the title says, not sure how exactly these values get calculated on the frontend of the node list, but it ends up coming from the $extra variable within the macro. However, the getNodeListExtras method on the entity returns an empty array within the API. Not sure what I can do to expose these values on the API side, but it is pretty important functionality that is missing

The API is reporting back the individual entities, which is actually how XF stores it. A category itself doesn't have any extras.

What you're referring to is something that we calculate when we have the whole node tree (or a complete sub-tree). See XF\Repository\Node::getNodeListExtras (and mergeNodeListExtras). This is dynamically based on what the user can actually view.

So it's very unlikely that we'd change what the API is returning, which relates to a specific node, as it would now require the entire subtree under it. We only do calculations like this when we're specifically in a context where it's needed (forum list-like instances).

Just to clarify, if your use case is to display a node list, then we could potentially include the merged data as a separate key returned by GET nodes/. Saying that, this does probably need a different approach than the existing getNodeListExtras stuff as we probably need to ensure it's not a massive data overload (which it would be if we included LastThread/LastPoster entities for example), so it's not entirely trivial.

That's what I was thinking of as well for the main node list, but we've also got endpoints that let you specify a parent ID and get the children of that node up to a certain depth so there could still potentially be issues there where a great-grandchild node hasn't been loaded. I think we've ended up getting a workaround for it caching the number of threads / posts for each permission combination, just have to do some testing on how heavy that ends up being

Top Bottom