XF 1.5 Two-Steps Verification - Google Authenticator

RoyalRumble

Hello,

I'm hopeful someone will kindly be able to help me troubleshoot a problem I'm having.

Unfortunately when attempting to setup 'Two-Step Verification Setup: Verification Code via App' using Google Authenticator, I'm met with the below when scanning a code after a barcode read, and/or providing the key;

error.webp

The code is definitely correct and it's occurring across the forum to others.

Anyone out there have any ideas? Sure would appreciate it.

The time on your server might be off.

this,

Ensure your server is set to automatically cron a NTP server and sync it's time at least once every few days, preferably once every 24 hours.

The 'virtual' MFA apps (Google Authenticator, Authy, Microsoft Authenticator) are all limited time of 30 seconds exactly and your server must be in sync with the Apps's server in correct Universal Time.

If your server drifts even just 15 seconds it can make it very difficult to hit the window, if it drifts more than 30 seconds you have no chance.

Servers drift because all CPU's are not created equal and their actual clock speed and the speed they 'think' they are clocking at are marginally different. I once was hosted on a server that drifted nearly 5 minutes every day (about 15 years ago).

I have also tested and can confirm that Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator and Authy all work correctly with Xenforo for both Android and iOS.

The time on your server might be off.
this,

Ensure your server is set to automatically cron a NTP server and sync it's time at least once every few days, preferably once every 24 hours.

The 'virtual' MFA apps (Google Authenticator, Authy, Microsoft Authenticator) are all limited time of 30 seconds exactly and your server must be in sync with the Apps's server in correct Universal Time.

If your server drifts even just 15 seconds it can make it very difficult to hit the window, if it drifts more than 30 seconds you have no chance.

Servers drift because all CPU's are not created equal and their actual clock speed and the speed they 'think' they are clocking at are marginally different. I once was hosted on a server that drifted nearly 5 minutes every day (about 15 years ago).

I have also tested and can confirm that Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator and Authy all work correctly with Xenforo for both Android and iOS.

Thank you both, that certainly did the trick.

Top Bottom