Twitter login may be affected Feb 9, 2023

For this and many other reasons, I gave up connected accounts a few years ago. I understand that it is convenient, but if someone really wants to register on your forum, they will.

It can also encourage some "bad habits" by users. Since disabling Facebook, I've been contacted by some people who were using it exclusively to sign into their accounts — they didn't know their email addresses or passwords, and since they didn't know their email address, they couldn't recover it. And because their email address wasn't really valid, we were never getting the chance to bring them back to the site with notifications.

Where can I find such stats?

If you're comfortable running queries directly on the database, you can see exactly who is using what.

You can see how many total users are using connected accounts using this query:

SQL:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM xf_user_connected_account;

To filter by a specific provider (in this example, Facebook):

SQL:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM xf_user_connected_account WHERE provider = 'facebook';

Many thanks @DeltaHF. Here is a version displaying provider breakdown:
SQL:
SELECT
    provider,
    COUNT(*) AS users
FROM
    xf_user_connected_account
GROUP BY
    provider;

Also got message:
Hello,
This is a notice that your app - ... - has been suspended from accessing the Twitter API.
Please visit developer.twitter.com to sign up to our new Free, Basic or Enterprise access tiers.

More information can be found on our developer community forums.

Regards,
Twitter Developer Platform
Have somebody solved this issue? Using this app for Twitter login only.

S
Many thanks @DeltaHF. Here is a version displaying provider breakdown:
SQL:
SELECT
    provider,
    COUNT(*) AS users
FROM
    xf_user_connected_account
GROUP BY
    provider;

Also got message:

Have somebody solved this issue? Using this app for Twitter login only.
Oo, thanks for that SQL. Probably could have figured it out myself (I do a lot of SQL at work) once I knew what the table was called but saves me some time. And same to @Kirby.

EDIT: Actually, Kirby's was the right one for my server apparently. Got an error with the first one.

Last edited:
Anybody been able to get this resolved with the new API? I can't get it to work anymore.
From what I understand, you have to delete your old application, create a new one and provide Elon with your phone number so he can (most likely) span you with pursuits that benefit him, then you can use it. The free level does allow the API logon ability.. it simply negates the existing app and request you sign up for a NEW one.

Updated email came, XF may have to update to a newer API implementation?

Hello,
This is a notice that your app - ******* - has been suspended from accessing the Twitter API. However, you can self-serve reactivate your app for free.
Please take the following steps to get your app quickly running again on the new Free or Basic plans available at developer.twitter.com:
1. Subscribe to either Free or Basic via our website.
2. When signing up, you will be able to pick 1 (Free) or 2 (Basic) apps that you want to remain active. They will be reactivated automatically after you complete your sign-up.
3. Please update the code in your app to use v2 endpoints - this is valid to all endpoints except for media upload endpoints which are not currently supported on v2 so you can continue to use those on v1.1.
We apologize for any inconveniences this transition might have caused. By following these steps, you can continue to seamlessly use the Twitter API.
For more information, please refer to our developer community forums.
Regards,
Twitter Developer Platform

I cannot even activate my 2009 Twitter account as a developer since they don't support any UK provider! A slight cluster F#@K if you ask me. If anyone knows of any virtual SMS providers that work, give me an inbox. I respect the hustle that Musk provides but it is not without its inconvenience.

Also got the same email today.

Basic access for 2 apps is $100 per month, that's ridiculous.

Disabled Twitter integration.

Also got the same email today.

Basic access for 2 apps is $100 per month, that's ridiculous.

Disabled Twitter integration.

Free

For write-only use cases and testing the Twitter API
  • Rate limited access to v2 tweet posting and media upload endpoints
  • 1,500 Tweets per month - posting limit at the app level
  • 1 app ID
  • Login with Twitter
  • Cost: Free

Updated email came, XF may have to update to a newer API implementation?
yeah, one thing they want now is your telephone number... just one more piece of data for Elon to sell to make up for all that money he spent.
And no, you can't use a Google Voice number...tried that already.

Which keys are you guys using to fill out the fields listed below?

1682672351872.webp

I remember originally this was pretty straight forward setup but I am lost now ;) I am still on v2.2.8 Patch 1, but this shouldn't matter I guess?

Top Bottom