Twitter login may be affected Feb 9, 2023

NealC

I'm not sure if Twitter's announcement about no more free API access will affect Twitter sign in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not sure if Twitter's announcement about no more free API access will affect Twitter sign in.
I most certainly will, eg. you'd have to pay to use the API - but nobody so far knows how much, lol.

Last edited:
There are some bogus prices doing the rounds.

I guess we'll find out next week or whenever musk feels like telling everyone.

update:

got an email from twitter, I use there api for wordpress
:(

Hello,

We are excited to share some updates regarding the Twitter API so you can keep building and innovating with us. Twitter offers one of the world’s most powerful data sets, and our recent updates will enable you to continue to tap into all its potential.

Basic access

On February 13, we will introduce our new low-cost, basic access that offers a low level of API usage, and full access to Ads API for a $100 monthly fee. This basic access will replace our previous access levels (Essential, Elevated, and Academic Research). We will provide instructions on how to subscribe to the basic access through our website on Monday.

Limited free access

As this is extremely important to the developer ecosystem, we will also introduce a new form of free write access to the Twitter API limited to Tweet creation of up to 1,500 Tweets per month for a single authenticated user token, as well as including free access to Login with Twitter. If you are currently on a free tier and you want to take advantage of the new limited free access, no actions are necessary - you will automatically be switched to the new free access on February 13.

Premium API deprecation

On February 13, we will also deprecate the Premium API access. If you’re subscribed to Premium, you can apply for Enterprise access here to continue using these endpoints.

We truly believe that the developer community can continue to create value with our Twitter API. We hope you are excited about this new chapter of the Twitter Developer Platform as we continue to invest in our ecosystem’s success. Please continue to follow @TwitterDev for the latest updates.

Thank you,

The Twitter Developer Platform team

Limited free access

As this is extremely important to the developer ecosystem, we will also introduce a new form of free write access to the Twitter API limited to Tweet creation of up to 1,500 Tweets per month for a single authenticated user token, as well as including free access to Login with Twitter. If you are currently on a free tier and you want to take advantage of the new limited free access, no actions are necessary - you will automatically be switched to the new free access on February 13.
This is probably the key one for most forums. I don't use Twitter login on Wondercafe2 but I personally did use the Tweet button to share threads occasionally when I was on Twitter. 1,500 a month would be enough for my forum but I wonder about large forums.

Congrats, Twitter, you fail at working with devs: cutting off access the same day you're going to tell them the new plans is a really bad move because it takes time to adapt to API changes.

Chances are people that are using this are going to see if it's not just worth cutting the cord rather than being a net contributor.

I just got this notice:

Hello,
This is a notice that your app - RVForums.com - has been suspended from accessing the Twitter API.

Please visit developer.twitter.com to sign up to our new Free, Basic or Enterprise access tiers.

More information can be found on our developer community forums.

Regards,
Twitter Developer Platform

Just got that same notice as well. The connection test from the Connected Accounts section in the XF admin panel is failing.

I have just deactivated Twitter as an account provider.

(I actually just deactivated Facebook last week, too. They wanted me to provide them with a test account to verify the Facebook login feature, but their own feature to create test accounts was not working, so... that was impossible.)

I will keep Google active, but I'm done with the social media connections.

For this and many other reasons, I gave up connected accounts a few years ago. I understand that it is convenient, but if someone really wants to register on your forum, they will.

We have Google and Facebook enabled but I am not sure either gets used much. I have Google enabled for myself but I don't know of anyone using FB.Twitter I never considered even pre-Musk when I was still active.on it.

Chances are people that are using this are going to see if it's not just worth cutting the cord rather than being a net c
you can use the v1.1 API for logins.. as long as you are willing to give them a dedicated telephone number that they can sell to others.. forget trying to use a Google Voice number.
It's ALL about the money with them... either you paying them a fee for their "higher level" services, or giving them MORE data to sell to others.

That was interesting. I checked how many users were using the Twitter connected account on our forum: almost nobody.
Then I checked the other accounts I configured, like Microsoft, Google and Facebook.
I was a bit surprised to see just a handful of users using this.

Somehow people don't use, trust or understand connected account.

Removed!

I was wrong, there were quite a lot users using this. I checked the wrong value's.

Last edited:
Not out of the box, but you can create a 'user group promotion' and select connected accounts.
This will put all users with connected accounts in a group, which makes it possible to see how many users are in the group.

Don't forget to run rebuild the user cache and run the cron job 'User group promotions'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom