Tweets not embedding in threads

amirpp

Affected version
hosted version on Xenforo - would be latest
We were able to see embedded tweets until a few hours ago but not any more!

BBL Code stuff has been setup so that X and Twitter.com links show up correctly (or used to)

All tweets disappeared from our site overnight, none of the old post show tweets anymore.

It shows the tweet link in the post but it disappears once the page loads.

This breaks hundreds of posts

PS. I am on cloud

Last edited:
I saw somewhere if you use fxtwitter.com instead of x.com or twitter.com, it could work

but that still doesnt restore the thousands of embedded tweets in our threads - real bummer this.

When you reload the forum page real fast you can momentarily see the twitter link and click on it to see it on twitter.

Maybe @AndyB or someone can write a quick addon that would allow that link to stay visible until the issue is resolved at twitter.

Edit the _media_site_embed_twitter template, add the following line at the bottom, and the twitter/X link should show up & stay there in the post

Code:
<p><a href="https://twitter.com/i/web/status/{$id}" target="_blank">https://twitter.com/i/web/status/{$id}</a></p>

Edit the _media_site_embed_twitter template, add the following line at the bottom, and the twitter/X link should show up & stay there in the post

Code:
<p><a href="https://twitter.com/i/web/status/{$id}" target="_blank">https://twitter.com/i/web/status/{$id}</a></p>

Unfortunately that did not work for me, I found exactly where to add it but tweet links still disappear when the page fully loads. They are visible until the page completes loading.

I see, it worked for all of these

Code:
[MEDIA=twitter]1560095564045246464[/MEDIA]

Did not work for theses

Code:
[MEDIA=t]1560095564045246464[/MEDIA]

The above was a modification I had to do on cloud to have x.com media embedded when x was using that url instead of twitter.com

The modification might be using a different template. On the Search Templates admin page filter by Add-on. Or see if there's another template name that starts with _media_site_embed
Then apply the same update to that template

Screenshot (47).webp

Yup, sure enough, the one I made when x.com was not embedding on cloud

Once I added your code to _media_site_embed_t all the links showed up

Seems to be fixed on the twitter end now.

I left the links under the tweets just in case something similar happens, it's a good safety measure.

Screenshot (49).webp

I ended up modifying @gct13 's mod just a bit.

I left it in place saying "Direct link to post on X.com"

I noticed that once in a while the twitter embeds are a bit wonky anyways so now members can click that link at any time to see the tweet/post on X. If there is another situation where nothing embeds at least members will see that link and will not be faced with an empty topic. On our forum a lot of topics start with a tweet and to show an empty opening post is not ideal.

Xenforo does have an internal feature that adds a link to source for embeds. But the link is part of the post content so harder to modify in future.

Xenforo does have an internal feature that adds a link to source for embeds. But the link is part of the post content so harder to modify in future.

I may look at it but with the instability of X/twitter you really can't say for sure what is going to happen moving forward so the way I have it I can modify all tweets in the posts in seconds.

Any permanent system when twitter.com moves to x.com it could become problematic.

I left the links under the tweets just in case something similar happens, it's a good safety measure.

I just tried it and it looks good, especially the fact that you can modify the size of the text etc but it really does not help in this case because it only adds the link from the time you activate the setting.

One would have to make an addon to change all past posts to use that setting properly.

Yup. But it would add source for all forms of embeds for future. Otherwise you would need to modify all media codes.

S9E Media Sites addon by @JoshyPHP has internal option to add source to all embeds processed by it using alternative embeds option which I think is pretty cool.

Top Bottom