XF 2.1 Tweak the New posts and New threads widgets to reduce duplicate content

JackieChun

I want to reduce (or even eliminate) duplicate content between the 'New posts' and 'New threads' widgets. The rationale is that sidebar real estate is valuable, and there should be no reason for any of those 10 slots (i.e. 5 per widget) to be occupied by the same content.

The way I would like to tweak these widgets is, at the minimum, to stop a new thread with zero replies from appearing under both 'New posts' and 'New threads' (just 'New threads' would be sufficient here).

Conversely, once a thread has been replied to, it should only appear under 'New posts.'

Is there a simple way to accomplish either of these things?

I believe you'd need an add-on to properly achieve that. You could always look into maybe putting the widgets into tabs? Reduce the space, leave new posts as the selected tab, but this would help reduce the real estate.

I do believe these widgets belong in the sidebar, but we are spoiled by Waindigo's intelligent widget framework for XF 1.x that we've used for years. The widgets built into XenForo 2 are very rudimentary in comparison and affect interactivity, since the goal of those widgets is to increase exposure to content and trigger interaction.

If there was a way to tweak the code of the actual widget templates to skip threads with replies in 'New threads' and skip threads with no replies in 'New posts', that would be ideal.

Top Bottom