Implemented Turn "Watch this thread" off by default, possibly adding a usercp setting

User

Current Behavior:
Currently "Watch this thread..." is turned ON by default when creating a new thread.
It is also turned ON by default when posting a reply to a thread. When using the traditional quick reply one does not have the option to not automagically subscribe to a thread.

Issue:
Being by default subscribed to threads, especially via quick reply, generates a number of alerts. The sheer volume of alerts this will ultimately create will make alerts useless for practical purposes (since not all are easily displayed). Active users on active forums could over time be receiving dozens, hundreds, and potentially thousands of alerts. This could potentially also present a performance problem when many active users are by default subscribed to every thread they every post in.

Suggested Fix:
I suggest a two step fix. Step 1 would be to change the default behavior to not watch threads one creates and not watch threads one replies to. Step 2 would be to add an option to the usercp alert section where the user has the option to change the default behavior to a) do not subscribe to threads, b) only subscribe to threads the user created by default, c) subscribe to all threads by default.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.

Current Behavior:
Currently "Watch this thread..." is turned ON by default when creating a new thread.

Perhaps I've missed the point but Watch threads when creating or replying is a User Registration option in the ACP.

Perhaps I've missed the point but Watch threads when creating or replying is a User Registration option in the ACP.
That is actually what I was after, it didn't occur to me to look for it in User Registration, I looked in User Alerts.

Step 1 already exists in the AdminCP under Options -> User Registration -> Default Registration Values
Step 2 exists in part in the UserCP under Account -> Preferences -> Options

The suggested option to have the user subscribe to threads they create by default is at this point not important given that the overall subscription preferences can be changed already. Well ..., that makes my suggestion a total fail since the functionality already exists, but at the very least I learned that this is the case. ;)

Top Bottom