Turn Resource Manager into Xenforo Store

agison

I would like to suggest to turn Resource Manager into "Xenforo Store" or "Xenforo Resource Store".
In this store we have Free resources & paid resources and Members can download them free or order it then pay with Paypal.

With paid transactions, Xenforo can get 20% from them, 80% for Developers. Some Addons could be reviewed by Xenforo staffs/Mods for safety.
I think it's fair & it's good for both Developers and Members here, also good for Xenforo owners.

Thanks!

Upvote 9
I would like to suggest to turn Resource Manager into "Xenforo Store" or "Xenforo Resource Store".
In this store we have Free resources & paid resources and Members can download them free or order it then pay with Paypal.

With paid transactions, Xenforo can get 20% from them, 80% for Developers.
I think it's fair.

Thanks!
Hey! The usual thing is 30%-70%, are you trying to shorthand the XenForo owners here? ;)

So ... lately, I have been using Pulley
As a service, it is truly awesome. Basically I upload a zip file, I put a price on that .. and that's it

They give me a link, which is a paypal gateway, people pay on that link, money goes directly to my account, and the purchaser gets an email in which they can automatically and instantly start downloading the addon

That is all (at least myself) I'm asking for, really .... A simple way to put some cheap paid resources available.

Doing it 30/70% is a little more tricky, though, as XenForo will need to get the money themselves first, I would need to send them an invoice, then they would issue me a check, plus international issues ... I figure they would be really annoyed (and probably would have to hire a full time person) for doing that.

But hey, the salary of that person would hopefully come out of the 20 or 30% they keep

Interesting concept but what happens when the mod no longer works or the developer takes his ball and leaves?
Who is responsible? XenForo for hosting it?

Interesting concept but what happens when the mod no longer works or the developer takes his ball and leaves?

Justing hosting & review. Mod can be replaced.
Steve Jobs is also not responsible for any apps in App Store if it's developer leaves.

IANAL

Same thing as with almost any store. When you buy an app from the iTunes store, the publisher is liable, not Apple. Walmart is not liable if I buy a tv from there and it explodes.

XenForo is only the channel, they should do basic moderation to get all the adult and offensive content out and that's it. It is not as if XenForo would be claiming ownership of all the add-ons.

Same thing happens with every piece of software, what if you bought a brand new accounting software and the company goes out of business? Or you have an in-house development made and the software company goes bankrupt?

It's just your normal, regular, risk. The market will moderate that, authors that produce crappy things will have bad reviews and people will stop buying from them.

Steve Jobs is also not responsible for any apps in App Store if it's developer leaves.
No. Besides the fact that he is no longer with us, people still would go after Apple.
IANAL

Same thing as with almost any store. When you buy an app from the iTunes store, the publisher is liable, not Apple. Walmart is not liable if I buy a tv from there and it explodes.
But you can be sure as hell someone will sue them [Walmart]. Last I heard, XenForo were 3 guys from the UK. Their lawyers have enough to do.

No. Besides the fact that he is no longer with us, people still would go after Apple.
But you can be sure as hell someone will sue them [Walmart]. Last I heard, XenForo were 3 guys from the UK. Their lawyers have enough to do.

Then what Apple will answer?
"You can download the current version, wait for new update from the developer?"

I figure they would be really annoyed (and probably would have to hire a full time person) for doing that.

But hey, the salary of that person would hopefully come out of the 20 or 30% they keep
Exactly how much money would need to pass through the system to be able to support a basic salary of say £15,000?

£15,000 / 30% * 100% = £50,000.

£50,000 spent on third party add-ons each year?

With paid transactions, Xenforo can get 20% from them, 80% for Developers. Some Addons could be reviewed by Xenforo staffs/Mods for safety.
You can't just do it with some, if you're going to do it, it would have to be with all add-ons.
So yet more salary/time required to fully check all the code, install, test, etc and as it would require a developer, they would need paying a hell of a lot more than £15,000 a year.

Over 100 resources were uploaded yesterday.
How long would people be prepared to wait for one guy to plough through all of them before approving them?

I can't help thinking that some people don't fully think through suggestions.

Over 100 resources were uploaded yesterday.
How long would people be prepared to wait for one guy to plough through all of them before approving them?

I can't help thinking that some people don't fully think through suggestions.

So there would be zero work yesterday as there were *NO* new resources.
Xenforo needs to see a stable robust sustainable addon community as a major driver of core sales. Supporting addon makers in a way different than vB and IPB is needed. The Resource Manager is not going to encourage addon makers to come to xenforo.

Not true - there were some new ones and some updated ones.

Besides which, you can't assume the code hasn't changed between the last time it was uploaded on the forum and being uploaded yesterday.

Not true - there were some new ones and some updated ones.

Besides which, you can't assume the code hasn't changed between the last time it was uploaded on the forum and being uploaded yesterday.
That's true.
Jaxel uploaded 2 new versions of his Wiki and XenUtilies addons yesterday so a lot of people have been making use of the new system.
Like it or not, RM will be the only way to find/publish addons going forward.
It will get better.

That's true.
Jaxel uploaded 2 new versions of his Wiki and XenUtilies addons yesterday so a lot of people have been making use of the new system.
Like it or not, RM will be the only way to find/publish addons going forward.
It will get better.
It's better than what we had before and I only see it getting better.

Exactly how much money would need to pass through the system to be able to support a basic salary of say £15,000?

£15,000 / 30% * 100% = £50,000.

£50,000 spent on third party add-ons each year?

Well, I was thinking about these yesterday, and the person doesn't need to be fulltime, especially if you just issue checks once a month. I'm sure you can have an accountant hired 3 days a month. That was before I knew paypal has an API for that. Now it's even easier

Then again, someone that does not want to do things will always find excuses. I wonder how the business case for XenForo looked about entering an already saturated market against a well positioned competitor, as with many things, you just find the way to do it.

I'm far happier selling addons through my own system so whatever happens I hope the commercial addons forum stays and we are not forced to use the resources system.

Top Bottom