Turn Resource Manager into Xenforo Store

agison

I would like to suggest to turn Resource Manager into "Xenforo Store" or "Xenforo Resource Store".
In this store we have Free resources & paid resources and Members can download them free or order it then pay with Paypal.

With paid transactions, Xenforo can get 20% from them, 80% for Developers. Some Addons could be reviewed by Xenforo staffs/Mods for safety.
I think it's fair & it's good for both Developers and Members here, also good for Xenforo owners.

Thanks!

Upvote 9
My current CMS has a pretty nice setup where a third party has set up a blessed site which is dedicated to add-ons.
This keeps the main developers of the CMS out of the loop, but is semi-official and has everything in one place.
Of course, the developers of such a site have to be really dedicated and serious and not just flash in the pan...
http://devot-ee.com/

You can't just do it with some, if you're going to do it, it would have to be with all add-ons.
So yet more salary/time required to fully check all the code, install, test, etc and as it would require a developer, they would need paying a hell of a lot more than £15,000 a year.

Over 100 resources were uploaded yesterday.
How long would people be prepared to wait for one guy to plough through all of them before approving them?

I can't help thinking that some people don't fully think through suggestions.

I am curious, why do you think that if XF had a resource marketplace like itunes or Android Market, it automatically implies that they have to test all code? Who said that? Does Apple review all code of apps being sold through itunes? Does Google review all code of all apps on the Android Market? Do the dozens of Wordpress theme and Addon sites selling third party addons review all code before selling them?

It is MUCH simpler than you would like to think. All you have to do is integrate the RM with Paypal API (other payments systems also) and paypal can send a percentage payment to your account and send the rest to the developer account. XF would merely be a channel and have no obligation just like neither Android Markert nor itunes have any obligation for third party app.

Surely many developers would want their own sales sites but there are many who can't be bothered with the whole setup and just do not develop for XF because there's paid work available elsewhere.

Case in point, I just developed a XF integrated newsletter which fetches recent content from your site and publishes it on a separate php page. This page is imported in Mailchimp through external url feature and resultingly you have an excellent auto-newsletter which sends weekly content to end users without you having to bother. I thought about packaging this into an Addon and selling it but it's too much hassle given that coding addons is not my primary line of work. Now if XF offered a simple solution where they took 30% and all I had to do was specify my paypal url, I would have surely done it by now. I would also find it fun to support it here on XF.com (As is increases my rep. as a developer here) then on my third party obscure site which only a few people may ever visit.

It would be quite nice... not because I want to sell addons, but it would be useful for some stuff I want to do with the RM once I license a copy.

PayPal's chained payment system would be great... It allows buyer to pay the seller directly, and then on the backend, PayPal takes some of the money (whatever precent the site owner takes when people still stuff on their site) and sends it to the site owner. The buyer never sees part of their payment going somewhere else, and the seller doesn't need to worry about remembering to pay the fees.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?...D=developer/e_howto_api_APIntro#id091QF0I30YK

Toss in some basic/optional licensing rules to a resource... For example, buyer can download all versions that come out within xx months of buying, buyer can redownload a maximum of xx times, etc. and you would have a fairly powerful platform that retains simplicity.

This is exactly what I need.

XF owes part of its success to the success of the addon community. This success can be expanded by expanding the XF addon industry. Handing payments and expanding marketplace functionality will further enrich and enable the XF addon industry.
With vbulletin dying and tens of thousands of webmasters looking for a new home and needing all kinds of addons, I'd say that now is a vital time for XF.

The developers came from vBulletin. The IPB type system y'all are talking about wasn't in place there, so it's only natural they wouldn't do it here either. The way it is now is fine. If your concerned about 'resource quality' just read the reviews and the thread like you would when shopping for stuff on any other site.

Top Bottom