Turn off members online status notice?

BGL

I've got "Online Status" turned off but I notice that it still shows Online or Offline status in the message board with a small note on the personal info box that attaches to each message posted.

Is there a way for members to turn that off or will it always show "Offline/Online"?

Not mine. One I participate in that just converted to XenForo.

www.priuschat.com

The Online/Offline appears in a ballon on the persons avatar even though it looks like all the "Online" keys in the preferences are off.

I notice that XenForo forum here does not show the person's online status in the same spot.

Not mine. One I participate in that just converted to XenForo.

www.priuschat.com

The Online/Offline appears in a ballon on the persons avatar even though it looks like all the "Online" keys in the preferences are off.

I notice that XenForo forum here does not show the person's online status in the same spot.
You may wish to have that administrator add you to his account, so that you may ask for support. Support is limited to customers only.

Just curious from a prospective new customer standpoint in how the "Visible Online" feature worked. Since the "online" notice is off in this XF forum it looks like it can be disabled somehow. Thanks.

Thanks for that. The user sees they are online (Doh!) and admin sees they are online, OK but others do not if all the member's core Online status choices are set to "Off". If folks use the Add-0n for their forum, then the user will see notice that he's online when he's online as will Admin.

Which leads to a question, if the member has all their Online Status checks to off, does Admin still see who is online or must the Admin get the add on to know that fact?

Which leads to a question, if the member has all their Online Status checks to off, does Admin still see who is online or must the Admin get the add on to know that fact?
There's a usergroup setting for this, so the admin can give the permission to everybody if he wants;)

There's a usergroup setting for this, so the admin can give the permission to everybody if he wants;)

My question is whether no matter what the member checks regarding public notification of their Online Status the admin can see who is online in the forum.

If I understand your reply above, the Admin can see online status no matter what the members checks regarding online status and that the Admin could enable this feature for all members by putting them in a usergroup with permissions to view online status?

The admin can also set this to "no" for all admins if he wants...;)

But in theorie, the admin can see&read EVERYTHING from you.......
He can read your conversations direct in the db (there's even an add-on for this), he can see posts which are posted in hidden forums where everybody believes that only "some members" can read, etc.......
(but it doesn't mean that all admins are so...)

But in theorie, the admin can see&read EVERYTHING from you.......
He can read your conversations direct in the db (there's even an add-on for this), he can see posts which are posted in hidden forums where everybody believes that only "some members" can read, etc.......
(but it doesn't mean that all admins are so...)

I'm into omnipotence in my little sub-universe so hopefully its the same in practice. I did want users to be able to turn off all public online notifications if they want but, as Admin, I do want to know who is online.

Thanks for that. The user sees they are online (Doh!) and admin sees they are online, OK but others do not if all the member's core Online status choices are set to "Off". If folks use the Add-0n for their forum, then the user will see notice that he's online when he's online as will Admin.

There is no default online/offline indicator with the basic XenForo package. You can achieve this via an add-on/hack and it works quite well. On my site we use ribbons.

Red for online, faded grey for offline.

If someone has chosen to hide their online status then they appear offline to everyone else but to the admin they have a black ribbon with online on it.

Top Bottom