Trying to make sure I understand What's possible with Resources

Bluevoodu

I'm looking to go to Xenforo (amongst other choices I'm testing out) from SMF 2.0.15. I dig the SMF platform, but looking to update to something with a better integrated CMS. I have SEVERAL projects I Would like to do with this... I may get to those later or need to discuss with support if possible.

For now - I've ran with the Xenforo demo. I'm doing a demo again for a few days. I Started figuring out how to rename resources (let's call it unicorn)... so the tab name changed but URL still states "resources" when you click into the renamed unicorn tab. Is it possible to change the URL name to Unicorns too? Also, I Would like to create another tab that acts like the Resources tab (maybe multiple tabs in the future). For example... rename resources to Unicorns - everything lines up to the name unicorns... and then all docs / articles and structures of those documents would be unicorns. The 2nd tab would be Rhinos... and everything lines up to the name rhinos (including URL)… and all docs/articles and structures would be rhinos. AND with this customization - be easy to upgrade Xenforo when necessary.

I looked up and down for some of these questions, but maybe I missed them because I don't exactly know the verbiage of Xenforo yet.

At this time... I'm looking into Drupal, 2 other CMS systems with forums, and SMF with a portal - Though that's a bit more limited.. and the custom ideas I have may not integrate the best. As mentioned previously... I Want to talk to someone confidentially on the new customized features planned (Xenforo Support...etc)… as I will probably need help with development and ideas to get it working.

I Appreciate your help and time.

You can use the Routes Filter & Navigation to achieve this. I didn't rename the tab (or create a new tab) but that can be done inside the Public Navigation
For example, I changed resources/ to myinfo/ - https://www.dragons-server.com/myinfo/
and resources/2002-pontiac-transam.3/ to 02ta/ - https://www.dragons-server.com/02ta/

Xenforo doesn't really have a CMS though, but you can do some very interesting things with Resource Manager to get it close.

There are also bridge plugins between WordPress and Xenforo, like XenWord and my personal favorite, Xpress. They aren't free, but they allow you to use WordPress' WYSIWYG builder for making pages.

The benefit that Xpress has, is that whatever theme you have for Xenforo, it applies it to the WordPress install as well.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm still evaluating several software packages between a few different cms packages, Xenforo, and a couple other ideas. Drupal right now is the front runner ... but it's not perfect. Life would be perfect if I could merge smf forum features with Xenforo ... and drupal.

I hope I described what I'm trying to achieve well. I really don't want resources to say resources. I want the url to be the same as what I want to rename the tab. I have a feeling this is going to cause am issue with updates in the future, am I right? Meaning my changes are wiped out and I'll need to re-do changes. I also want to create a new second tab (maybe more) for other article / content types that functions exactly like the resources tab - including all subs like 'new articles ...' etc. If you are creative with the Xenforo editor, you can do a lot with it.

I dig the @mention features of Xenforo. The editor for articles is one of the best - in my opinion for my use. The posting level up system is pretty cool as well. The standard Facebook / twitter logins are nice - without having to customize. I like how smf forums are... drupal forums are definitely lacking but there are nice freedoms in drupal as a cms system.

@KensonPlays I will look into that. Some word press features would be cool.

I'm looking into combining 4 site ideas into one. There a good Chance I'll start my day second site and leave the 1st active as it is.

I want the url to be the same as what I want to rename the tab. I have a feeling this is going to cause am issue with updates in the future, am I right?
Not a problem - the route filter function will handle that without issue.

I also want to create a new second tab (maybe more) for other article / content types that functions exactly like the resources tab - including all subs like 'new articles ...' etc. If you are creative with the Xenforo editor, you can do a lot with it.
A second tab is no problem but you can't have two instances of the RM installed - you would have to use separate categories for something like that.

@Brogan thank you for your responses.

I use oneall social to handle logins from other sites such as discord, steam, battle.net... in addition to the others used by Xenforo. I use this for a couple different domains (soon to be more). I noticed others using this... will it become an option soon? I don't see development integration with Xenforo.

In regard to a second tab utilizing a separate category, is it possible to create the tab like the resources tab to show the drop down with new articles... and whatever else I want? Or will be a static tab to the separate category... and that's all that's possible? I haven't figured this one out yet in the demo.

Thank you,
BV

@Deepmartini my project stalled out since last year. I'm having troubles with direction. I think on the 1 project , I'm killing off the forum and running with Drupal cms. I didn't want the forum to be central anyway, but Drupal has such an awful forum... it not worth it. Xenforo doesn't offer as robust of cms features... I get it isn't supposed to be a cms.

On the other project, I'm looking to keep the current board as Simple Machines forums... let it ride... and maybe start an offshoot project doing what I was looking for above and working with Xenforo.

Nothing is concrete and I hope in the next 30 days to have a final decision on all 3 ... whether that's 3 separate sites or merging 3 to 1 ... somehow... or 2 different sites.

I ran out of time before and have been stuck in decision limbo because of the fit of the individual software. I understand there won't be a perfect fit and some development will be required. I had to turn my studies to AWS for work certifications towards the end of last year. Still studying , but refocusing on some of my stuff now as I'm accomplishing those certs.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom