XF 2.1 Trying to import a vBulletin 4 forum to Xenforo 2

Dimitrios

Hello everyone.

I have a 10 year old vBulletin 4.2 forum and visitors have dropped considerably since it’s not mobile friendly and google won't rank it as high as it used to. I’ve seen a friendly forum suffering after upgrading to vB 5 so that was not an option. I thought I’d try Xenforo and just bought a license.

I created a brand new database and installed Xenforo 2.1.1
Then I installed the importer addon and run it. Unfortunately I get this error:

XF\Db\Exception: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php at line 160
  1. XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->makeConnection() insrc/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php at line 28
  2. XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->getConnection() insrc/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 60
  3. XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->connect() in src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 83
  4. XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query() in src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 165
  5. XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->fetchAllKeyed() insrc/addons/XFI/Import/Importer/vBulletin.php at line 561
  6. XFI\Import\Importer\vBulletin->stepUserGroups() insrc/XF/Import/Runner.php at line 231
  7. XF\Import\Runner->runStep() in src/XF/Import/Runner.php at line 59
  8. XF\Import\Runner->run() in src/XF/Admin/Controller/Import.php at line234
  9. XF\Admin\Controller\Import->actionRun() insrc/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 321
  10. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line248
  11. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.phpat line 100
  12. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line50
  13. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2177
  14. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 390
  15. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13
In src/config.php things seem to be set up properly:

Any ideas? Thanks

Well, no.

I thought i worked but it doesn't. :(

In the meanwhile the staff closed the ticket, following my false signal. I just replied there below. Does that re-open my ticket or do I need to create a new ticket?

thanks

Confirming that your old vB database (or a copy of it) is located on the same server that your new XF database is on, and that permissions are set so that you can access both databases, correct?

I tried all kinds of stuff.

Originally my 2 databases (old and new) where on different servers. But I was setting the servers correctly.

Then I created a copy of the old db on the same server where the new xenforo db is. That didn't solve the problem either.
( and by the way, I don't think that this is a prerequisite, that both databases need to be on the same server. Or is it? )

Then I had my host support create a new empty db on the server where the forum installation is. I deleted everything and created a brand new xenforo installation. The problem still remains.

Last edited:
You SHOULD have both databases on the same server. It makes things MUCH easier and faster. I originally tried to use databases on my old and new servers and ran into similar issues as you did. After some tries, I just created a new empty database on the server I was migrating to via phpmyadmin, and imported my vB database into it. From there everything went smoothly, because the "old" vB database and the "new" XF database were on the same server, with same permissions and login/password.

It looks to me like you have a permissions issue with accessing your database. Instead of "localhost" did you try your server's IP address?

Why are you relying on your hoster's support to create databases? Can you not do this yourself? Most hosting companies will allow you to do this (my "old" vB hosting company, 1and1.com, allowed me to create unlimited mySQL databases up to 1GB in size). If you are using a hoster that has these restrictions for your XF installation, I HIGHLY recommend finding a hosting company that allows you the leeway to create and administer your own databases, or go with a Virtual Private Server (VPS) solution, which gives you control of EVERYTHING.

I would start over again. Create two databases on the same server, using the same login/password credentials -- an empty/new database that you can import your vB database into, and an empty/new database that you base your XF installation on. Then install a fresh copy of XenForo.

Cheers,
Gerry

Hi Gerry. I don't rely on my host to create my databases. I have always done that myself. Since I have these troubles with the import and they were trying to help me out they offered to help and try a couple of things out.

Like I already said I tried with both databases on the same server, but the problem remained.

Thanks for your interest in my troubles.

Top Bottom