[TRN] Discussion Preview [Deleted]

I would love to have an option to use this addon only for certain usergroups. I only want to have the preview activated for guests, not registered members. Thanks :)

edit: I just edited the template and used a conditional statement. Works great :)

Last edited:
I would love to have an option to use this addon only for certain usergroups. I only want to have the preview activated for guests, not registered members. Thanks :)

edit: I just edited the template and used a conditional statement. Works great :)

That's great! However I will put it on the "wish list", sounds like a good feature. :)

Is there a way to adjust how big the attachments preview images are that will be below the thread?

In other words adjust the size on these?

Edit, I think i answered my own question

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-26_4-1-40.webp
    upload_2016-4-26_4-1-40.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Two questions now that I bought it:

1) Is there a way to disable pictures on certain areas like new posts but not main forum page? Or is it a global setting only?

For example I want pictures to show up on new posts, but I dont want them to show up on the main forum list - I'd like to disable them partially.

I currently had to disable preview entirely on the front (text and picture) so I can have picture on the new posts.

Ideally I'd like JUST text on the front and text AND picture on the new. Thanks!

2) Any way this can search for hot linked ie COPY/PASTED images into a reply instead of only attached images? I see that it only looks for image files that were attached meanwhile most of my forum uses copy/paste images

Last edited:
Is there a way to adjust how big the attachments preview images are that will be below the thread?

In other words adjust the size on these?

Edit, I think i answered my own question

You can limit the maximum display size in the style property. See: Style Property in Admin Control Panel-> Appearance -> Style Properties -> [fgX] Discussion Preview

Two questions now that I bought it:

1) Is there a way to disable pictures on certain areas like new posts but not main forum page? Or is it a global setting only?

For example I want pictures to show up on new posts, but I dont want them to show up on the main forum list - I'd like to disable them partially.

2) I'm struggling with getting it to fetch pictures from more than one post even though the limit is 5. Is it supposed to keep fetching through the thread to get 5 or does it only look at one reply (last or first)

1) The "Preview Images" option will affect all forums unless you have set "Discussion Preview Excluded Forums". The "Preview Images" option can not be set per forum.

It would be quite easy though to set up your own. Set up a Template Modification for "fgx_discussion_preview.css" and add a template conditional

Add the following at the end replacing X with the forum number for the "Main Forum"

Code:
<xen:if is="{$forum.node_id} == x">
.fgx-attachments {
   display: none !important;
}
</xen:if>

Untested but it should work.

2) The option "Preview Images" can be set to one of the following values:
  • Disabled
  • From the previewed post only
  • Ascending from the beginning of the thread up to max number of images specified
  • Descending from the end of the thread up to max number of images specified

When set to one of the last 2 values, images will be fetched from the whole thread (starting from the end or from the beginning) until there are no more images to fetch or until the "Max Number of Images to Preview" limit has been reached.

When set to one of the last 2 values, images will be fetched from the whole thread (starting from the end or from the beginning) until there are no more images to fetch or until the "Max Number of Images to Preview" limit has been reached.

Thank you, but I think we are talking about two different things.

I'm asking if there is any possible option for the preview to see Hotlinked/Embeded images for it's preview.

As of right now it only scans for attachments and uses those.

Only run around I figured out for this issues is to use MetaMirror (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/metamirror.2117/) to convert all hot linked files into attachments instantly. Then they will show up on your preview. However this causes an issue because then every single hotlinked/embedded file is also listed as an attachment. Besides having the issue of having this many attachments my attachment resizer also resizes the photo instantly making it a duplicate.

So this runaround solves the preview issue but its not ideal and won't work for me in long term unless I can come up with solution.

Having your mod see hotlinked/embeded images would be ideal but I'm not sure if this is possible?

Example : all the attached images are previewed
upload_2016-4-27_4-35-19.webp

However in order for one to show above, the conflicts of mods caused them to double in post
upload_2016-4-27_4-36-2.webp

Thank you, but I think we are talking about two different things.

I'm asking if there is any possible option for the preview to see Hotlinked/Embeded images for it's preview.

Ohh, I see now but You edited/changed Your question after I already answered ;)

Currently it's not possible. The question has been answered before.

I see that You have double images when looking at the thread. (This add-on is not used for viewing a specific thread).

It's hard for me to tell without seeing the raw message text (Using the BBCode editor) but I guess Your posts now contain both an hotlinked image and an attachment of the same image.

Since this add-on never alter any posts, the double image and/or attachments is probably a result of using the metamirror add-on.

Can You please copy and paste the raw message text (Using the BBCode editor) for a post that has double images. Then I will be able to determine what is going on.

Thanks! :)

You're 100% correct. Double image is due to my own doing for using metaimage in order to try to achieve the preview on all the posts, not just attached ones.

Thank you for your response. I will have to look for alternative paths to try to achieve that goal.

I'll either have to somehow get rid of double image issue caused by automatic resizing of the attachments or disable the resizing of the attachments all together.

Either way sacrifices will have to be made. At this time I don't see how I can have my attachments safely resized AND hot linked pictures previewed.

You're 100% correct. Double image is due to my own doing for using metaimage in order to try to achieve the preview on all the posts, not just attached ones.

Thank you for your response. I will have to look for alternative paths to try to achieve that goal.

I'll either have to somehow get rid of double image issue caused by automatic resizing of the attachments or disable the resizing of the attachments all together.

Either way sacrifices will have to be made. At this time I don't see how I can have my attachments safely resized AND hot linked pictures previewed.

I hope You can find a way to restore Your posts to how it was before You used that "metamirror add-on".

If there is a big demand for it, I will consider adding the capability for this add-on to display down-sized versions of hotlinked images. (Down-sized, as XF doesn't have, and shouldn't have thumbnails for hotlinked images). It would be a challenge to solve the sorting order when mixed with attachments and one has to keep in mind that hot-linked images would impact the download speed. Full size images might be quite large in comparison with thumbnails. Those 2 questions has kept me from implementing that feature so far...

Thank you. Loving your addon regardless and great support!

I won't have a problem restoring anything. Forum is still in testing while I get all the kinks worked out.

I'll stay tuned for the updates and see if you ever decide to pursue this option. In meantime I'll try to sort things out on my end.

@Vovchandr

Have You had a look at the Convert Image add-on? It claims to replace the hotlinked images with attachments. (Personally I have no experience of that add-on) If You try it, make a fresh backup of your data first. ;)

@Vovchandr

Have You had a look at the Convert Image add-on? It claims to replace the hotlinked images with attachments. (Personally I have no experience of that add-on) If You try it, make a fresh backup of your data first. ;)

I've considered it. I could be wrong but it appears to do the same thing or even less. I am not positive without looking into it if it does real time conversion to local host. I believe it only does them retroactively.

But either way forum preview will not see the images until they get converted to attachments, whether live or later.

My personal issue is that I dont want attachments small on the bottom. I want them full sized.

FYI for ALL MEMBERS, anybody who will be using either one of the image conversion addons who doesn't care if their attachments are small can use the Discussion Preview Addon to achieve my goals and have ALL images show up on preview.

I'm being picky however and I really personally can't stand small attachments on bottom of post, which is why I resize them to begin with.

@Vovchandr
Have You had a look at the Convert Image add-on? It claims to replace the hotlinked images with attachments.

I've considered it. I could be wrong but it appears to do the same thing or even less. I am not positive without looking into it if it does real time conversion to local host. I believe it only does them retroactively.

I tried the the Convert Image add-on on my web site. It worked like a charm. After installing I made a test post, hotlinked to an image on another web site. When I saved my post an attachment was generated and inserted into the post automatically. Just as expected. I don't understand what You mean by "it appears to do the same thing or even less."

After installing Convert Image, I had to enable ImageMagic: Admin CP -> Options -> Attachments -> Default Image Processor

I also created a temporary directory on my web server and entered it in the options for. the Convert Image add-on. It worked perfect at first try. If You'd like to convert hotlinked images in old posts, @AndyB made the Convert Image ALL add-on which will do the job for You.

Top Bottom