[TRN] Discussion Preview [Deleted]

farang

farang submitted a new resource:

[fgX] Post Preview - Shows a preview of the first or the last post of threads in various thread listings.

This add-on shows a preview of the last post of threads in various thread listings.

Supported thread listings:
  • Forum list (When listing threads for a specific forum)
  • Recent topics
The preview text is stripped from message quotes, URLs,

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
I really like this, are you planing to add a like buttons to previews? is it possible to show first post and not the last one?

farang updated [fgX] Post Preview with a new update entry:

Version 1.0.1 released!

Fixed in version 1.0.1
  • Fixed an error that under certain conditions could log an error about that 'join' key was missing.
  • Prevent e-mail addresses from displaying in the preview text.
If you upgrade from version 1.0.0 you just need to upload the new files to your server without running "Upgrade Add-on". (Then it will still display as version 1.0.0. Only if You want the correct version to display, run "Upgrade Add-on" as usual.)

Read the rest of this update entry...

I was watching this add-on.
Price doubled?? so quickly without additional features..
Great value at original price

Dear Reddy, while introducing new add-ons I use to lower the price to compensate for any not yet found "errors/features". Having a single price to match both large organisations as well as small non profit websites is not optimal, I agree. I've tried giving other add-ons for free before asking for a donations but I never had a single donation so I can say it doesn't even buy me a beer.

If you or someone else running a small website buy the add-on and send me a PM I will happily refund 50% or more. ;)

Does this retain smilies so that they show up in the preview or do they appear as :smilieface: ?

Thank you

Smilies are retained. :) , that is, smilies are shown as graphics.

Quotes, e-mail addresses and URLs are all removed from the preview text.

Is it just the tags that are removed or is it the tags and text in between them?

Eg: If I had...

[url="some-website-address"]Website[/url]

Will the "Website" text still be displayed?

The reason I ask is because I have threads automatically created by a couple of add-ons and they both contain a smilie and a url in the first post. At the moment I am using @Jake Bunce method here and it displays the URL text, although it's not clickable, which is not a problem at all, but with this method, it doesn't display the smilies and just shows them as :some-smilie:

If your add-on displays smilies and retains the url text between the tags, then I will purchase it, but if it doesn't retain the text in between the url tags, then I can't purchase it because I'll will end up with a load of threads with just a smilie as a preview :ROFLMAO:

Thank you :)

Purchased and installed.

Looks really great (y)

I have a suggestion if you are open to them?

Add an option to display first or last post depending on the location, for example:

New Posts and Recent Posts pages could preview the Last Post to help keep things current and the Forum View page could preview the First Post which would be as you'd expect.

To help explain a bit further, the options could be something like...

Preview Post in New Posts:
  • Disabled
  • First Post
  • Last post
Preview Post in Recent Posts:
  • Disabled
  • First Post
  • Last post
Preview Post in Forum View:
  • Disabled
  • First Post
  • Last post

Just an idea :)

Purchased and installed.

Looks really great (y)

Add an option to display first or last post depending on the location, for example:

New Posts and Recent Posts pages could preview the Last Post to help keep things current and the Forum View page could preview the First Post which would be as you'd expect.

• Disabled
  • First Post
  • Last post
  • Disabled
  • First Post
  • Last post
  • Disabled
  • First Post
  • Last post

Great ideas @RichardKYA I will consider them as soon as I get some spare time. Thanks!!

Purchased and installed.

Looks really great (y)

• Disabled
  • First Post
  • Last post
  • Disabled
  • First Post
  • Last post
  • Disabled
  • First Post
  • Last post

Really a must have (y)

A feature to exclude forums per id and it would be perfect ;)

I've had a first look at these requests and have a few questions.

1) Would it be OK to combine "Preview Post in New Posts" and "Preview Post in Recent Posts" into a single option ("Preview Post in Recent/New Posts") or is it really important to distinguish between these two? I ask because the code for doing the latter would be much more clean.

2) Regarding the "Exclude forum from preview option"... would that be applicable only in "Forum view"? Otherwise it would look strange in "Recent Posts" while some posts have preview and some don't.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Top Bottom