1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transition from MyBB

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by ImDoc, Jan 4, 2016.

1. ImDoc

ImDoc New Member

I have an installation of MyBB in the root folder of my hosting site. Is it possible to install Xenforo in a folder in the root directory, import all the data from my existing installation of MyBB, and then make the Xenforo folder the opening folder for the website? I am trying to figure out how to do this.... Does that sound feasible?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, you can install XF in a folder in the root, do the import, then move both of the installations so the XF files are in the root and the MyBB installation is archived/in a folder.

3. ImDoc

ImDoc New Member

That won't mess up the XF installation if I move it to the root after installing it into a folder? Do I need to change any of the settings first?

4. Brogan

It's simple to move an XF installation and only requires a single change in the ACP.

5. ImDoc

ImDoc New Member

Okay...so...let me make sure I have this before I hate myself for a couple of days. I can make a folder called XF. Install XF into that folder. Import my existing MyBB. Make a separate folder to archive my existing MyBB and then move the XF out into the root directory. At that point I will still be able to log into XF (after moving) to make the one change you mention in the ACP? I only say this because as you probably know if you move the forum I have now and try to log in you get error messages galore.... Thanks for your help btw. It is appreciated.

6. Brogan

Correct, that will work.

7. ImDoc

ImDoc New Member

Good deal...I'm checking out now... thanks Brogan.... ;)