Transfer your domain to NameCheap for $4.99, $1 goes to Save the Elephants

yoghurtfarmer

Since NameCheap seems to be popular registrar here, I thought I'd post this. Use coupon code BYEBYEGD. This is their response to Bob Parsons' (GoDaddy's CEO) elephant shooting video. I'm not sure if it's only limited to GoDaddy domains?

http://community.namecheap.com/blog/2011/03/30/elephants/
We’ve decided to throw our support behind our Elephant friends by offering domain transfers at a price where we actually lose money.

Show your protest by saying BYEBYEGD again and transfer your domains to Namecheap for $4.99 for the next 24 hours through 11:59pm EST on 3/31/11 (limit 10 per user, valid for all com/net/org domains): Update: This coupon has been extended and will run through 11:59pm EST on 4/1/11.

On top of that, we’ll donate $1 for each transfer to Save The Elephants at http://www.savetheelephants.org/

Use coupon code BYEBYEGD and let’s help the Elephants together!

Everyone is over reacting to this. If it was someone other than Bob, you wouldn't hear about it. Namescheap are just as bad as GD for capitalizing over something they claim is horrendous.

Everyone is over reacting to this.

Overreacting, or simply reacting? I'm surprised (in a good way) that so many people would put their principals principles above their personal convenience.

The principal is your pal. Never could keep that straight! :D

Everyone is over reacting to this. If it was someone other than Bob, you wouldn't hear about it. Namescheap are just as bad as GD for capitalizing over something they claim is horrendous.

This,

Many places offer up game hunting of animals that are causing problems, hell in some parts of the US if a snake headed fish is found in a lake they poison the entire pond and exterminate an entire eco-system.

As long as the reports are true that the animal he shot would be causing problems for the locals and that it wasn't just shot for sport, but actually used to feed people and the likes, then I wouldn't say I support it, but i'm not going to hold it against him.

This,

Many places offer up game hunting of animals that are causing problems, hell in some parts of the US if a snake headed fish is found in a lake they poison the entire pond and exterminate an entire eco-system.

As long as the reports are true that the animal he shot would be causing problems for the locals and that it wasn't just shot for sport, but actually used to feed people and the likes, then I wouldn't say I support it, but i'm not going to hold it against him.
Except you know... there's a bigger problem that people tend to ignore about why the elephants are causing problems.

Invasive species I can understand, but when there's humans invading an animal's territory, causing the animal stress and cutting off their resources, you can't go back and then get mad at the animal, in this case an elephant, for trying to survive.

Except you know... there's a bigger problem that people tend to ignore about why the elephants are causing problems.

Invasive species I can understand, but when there's humans invading an animal's territory, causing the animal stress and cutting off their resources, you can't go back and then get mad at the animal, in this case an elephant, for trying to survive.

And these people are not just trying to do the same? Survive?

Lets twist it around the other way, what if nothing was done, and the elephants were allowed to trample and eat all the crops of the village day in day out, would everyone be up in arms after half the village starves to death and the animal was shot then?

Game hunting happens day in, day out 365 days a year. The only reason this has attracted any attention is because of the person who did it. Nothing more. If this was some random nobody who had done the shoot none of this associated drama would have followed.

I have been to africa, been on a safari tour to see these magnificant animals, but I got to see some of the villages dotted around also. Places where they litterally have NOTHING except the tools they need to grow crops, the roof over their head and a water pump that 2 other local villages have travel to and share. It is easy to blame the people, but many of these people grew up here and have no choice but to stay, they can't afford to move anywhere, the only thing they could take with them would be the tools they own, and even then, where would they go?

Killing an animal for sport and fun is not right no. But the fact of it is, humans have hunted animals for survival for thousands of years. At least this way the animal had a relatively quick death and goes to some good use of providing for the village, opposed to other methods where the villages are left to fend for themseleves, go and injure an animal (without the capability of killing it) and wait for several days / weeks until the animal becomes so weak from the resulting infection and then finish it off.

I hunt a fair bit for farmers that struggle with "FERRAL" animals and I must say that this s#@t made me sick.
How retarded do you have to be not only to shoot an elephant but to do it and advertise it on behalf of the company that you work for, No short bus is short enough for this sort of behaviour.

The only stupidity that comes close to this Imho can be seen in the darwin awards

GoDaddy is now on my Ban-List

And these people are not just trying to do the same? Survive?

Lets twist it around the other way, what if nothing was done, and the elephants were allowed to trample and eat all the crops of the village day in day out, would everyone be up in arms after half the village starves to death and the animal was shot then?

Game hunting happens day in, day out 365 days a year. The only reason this has attracted any attention is because of the person who did it. Nothing more. If this was some random nobody who had done the shoot none of this associated drama would have followed.

I have been to africa, been on a safari tour to see these magnificant animals, but I got to see some of the villages dotted around also. Places where they litterally have NOTHING except the tools they need to grow crops, the roof over their head and a water pump that 2 other local villages have travel to and share. It is easy to blame the people, but many of these people grew up here and have no choice but to stay, they can't afford to move anywhere, the only thing they could take with them would be the tools they own, and even then, where would they go?

Killing an animal for sport and fun is not right no. But the fact of it is, humans have hunted animals for survival for thousands of years. At least this way the animal had a relatively quick death and goes to some good use of providing for the village, opposed to other methods where the villages are left to fend for themseleves, go and injure an animal (without the capability of killing it) and wait for several days / weeks until the animal becomes so weak from the resulting infection and then finish it off.
I'm not arguing about how humans survive either.

How about teaching people not to live in the path of elephant migration highways? Yes, Africa and a lot of other countries have barely any clothes on their back but at the same time people go there to kill the elephants. How about turning around and using the money that goes to that and instead invest it in the people instead? Or at the very least finding ways to keep the elephants away that don't involve killing them.

There's a myriad of ways to go about trying to help people and animals coincide with each other, and of course it begins with trying to understand both sides, not just seeing that human crops are being destroyed by elephants and deciding to kill the elephants and saying that is a viable solution, especially when elephant populations aren't doing that well.

The problem with "Think of the people!" approach is that we as humans do that far, far too much already and the rest of the planet pays for it. I understand difficulties of being poor, but I also know there is a lot that can be done to help both sides that doesn't involve one wiping out the other.

? Or at the very least finding ways to keep the elephants away that don't involve killing them.

especially when elephant populations aren't doing that well.

I have picked out these 2 quotes inparticularly.

Nearly every suggestion I have read to "keep them away" has been stupid, hell I nearly fell of my chair when one person suggested an electric fence... normal fences would get trampled, and with no benefits or support system, these people have to fend for themseleves and grow crops where they can, if they don't have a good crop, they starve.. simple as that. No point giving them tools to plant more or similar as the elephants would just decimate those crops aswell.

Several reports have stated that since that one bull was shot in the herd, the herd has not returned to the field.

As for not doing that well, unfortunately Zimbabwe has elephant overpopulation that is growing, according to a 2009 report, over 110,000, while the "optimum ammount" is estimated at half that http://www.savetheelephants.org/new...hant-population-wreaks-havoc-in-zimbabwe.html

Dont get me wrong, im not pro shooting elephants, but I think people jump on the "bandwagon" without realising the true story behind the picture.

Nearly every suggestion I have read to "keep them away" has been stupid, hell I nearly fell of my chair when one person suggested an electric fence... normal fences would get trampled, and with no benefits or support system, these people have to fend for themseleves and grow crops where they can, if they don't have a good crop, they starve.. simple as that. No point giving them tools to plant more or similar as the elephants would just decimate those crops aswell.

Several reports have stated that since that one bull was shot in the herd, the herd has not returned to the field.

As for not doing that well, unfortunately Zimbabwe has elephant overpopulation that is growing, according to a 2009 report, over 110,000, while the "optimum ammount" is estimated at half that http://www.savetheelephants.org/new...hant-population-wreaks-havoc-in-zimbabwe.html

Dont get me wrong, im not pro shooting elephants, but I think people jump on the "bandwagon" without realising the true story behind the picture.
Eh, if there was a choice, I'd remove us humans from the planet as we are nothing more than a parasite. :p

If he had any real intention of helping the villagers of Zimbabwe he would have spent the money the trip cost him for him and his friends, rather than going out and killing an elephant that will feed 10 villages for maybe a few days (At most a week).

Many people aren't mad because of him hunting; it really is that he hunted, recorded it, and than continued to record it as they butchered the animal for meat, and then posted it online.

Others are annoyed at his condescending attitude towards the villagers.

Normally I don't care for animal charities and I have always considered Bob Parsons a pretty cool guy, but this is too good an offer to miss (free private whois and SSL too for a year!) so all 8 of my domains are on their way to Namecheap.

They will likely be back on Godaddy for the next renewal however - can't beat £5/year (30% off any order coupons ftw)

Is it just me or is it extremely slow on namecheap? I have ordered two domains to be transferred just now. Lets see how it goes.

I have to say that even without the discounts/promotions, namecheap is a great registrar. I have few domains with them, their live support is awesome. I once bought a domain that I misspelled and they were nice enough to fix it at no extra charge and within a few minutes. Good for them for donating to the benefit of elephants.

Did anyone stop to think this might be a April Fool's joke that GoDaddy is willing to pay for in the billions for lots customer revenue?

Top Bottom