Tragic 2DAYFM prank call

Sad, but to think this lady committed suicide over this one event might be a bit of a stretch. She probably had problems before all this.
While her suicide is sad, there has to be more to the story. Either she had been battling major depression and this was the final "cherry" on top or she had felt, in that moment of confusion, that this was way worse than what it really is and didn't find a way out.

I am sure most of us have prank called someone, I know I have. If the prank call the Australian radio hosts had started was harassing in nature, such as belittling the woman or hateful, I could understand. This situation is very confusing to those of us who are not "in the know". Still it is sad that someone took their life without looking for help first.
The story so far doesn't make much sense to me, this can't be a reason for suicide unless it's the straw that broke the camel's back. People obviously shouldn't look to blame a few individuals who were just doing their job with respect for the law.

Unless one is a victim of social engineering or is trained on how to do social engineering in a controlled manner, we generally forget one thing: it is easy for the mark or target to feel like they were victimized. After all, to admit a fundamental security breach is not only embarrassing, it may damage the organization’s reputation as well as anyone else involved (such as the Prince and Dutchess)

Last night the two radio hosts got interviewed on A Current Affair.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The two radio hosts can't be blamed, the person in management who allowed this pre recorded prank call to go to air should be blamed. The two hosts didn't even know the procedures of how these prank calls go to air. They didn't have a clue who put it to air.

From what I've seen, a lot of the media made a big issue of it, ostracizing her in some cases.

Truthfully, while the prank was in bad taste, and did cause her problems, the bulk of the blame is at the hands of the media.

Last night the two radio hosts got interviewed on A Current Affair.

The two radio hosts can't be blamed, the person in management who allowed this pre recorded prank call to go to air should be blamed. The two hosts didn't even know the procedures of how these prank calls go to air. They didn't have a clue who put it to air.

Just wow! They seemed just shocked.
This is heartbreaking! wow....

Well, the nurse is to blame for killing herself, unless she blamed some one else which is what I'm trying to find out.

Even is she did blame someone else - I still stick to what I said here:

A person's suicide can generally only be blamed on one person ==> the person with the lethal weapon pointed to her temple, the bottle of sleeping pills poured down her throat, the razor blades scraping their way through her arm veins, etc....

Such a sad situation really. But blaming the "pranksters" is sorta foolish imo. This Saldahna woman obviously had issues prior to the prank. IDK - Kinda sad - but are we blaming the wrong people? Simply wanting someone else to be responsible for her suicide...?

It's so sad really. And after seeing the video interview with the hosts... I teared up for a minute. It's just a sad day when someone (who for all intents and purposes appear healthy and 'normal') takes their own life :(

I actually just listened to the prank call itself. The nurse who killed herself put them through to the nurse who gave away a lot of information to the hosts. I'm actually surprised they even passed with the accents they put on.

I am an Australian and use to work in radio and television back in the late 70's and prank calls were done every single day and everyone went about it having a laugh, including the person on the other end of the phone...what has society become???

All this Nurse did was put the phone call through to another Nurse so why in the hell would she commit suicide for something like that...YES, the media IS to blame, the bloody UK newspapers have a lot to answer for and the so called old UK banter that will tear a person apart in the name of "fun" has done this to themselves...sorry but the UK culture has a lot to answer for and whilst I, as an Australian, have always supported belonging to the monarch, the next time Australia has a referendum on becoming a republic I will now be first in line to say YES...Australia has a lot more going for it then the UK and recent times over the last 10 years have proven that.

The two radio announcers have my complete and utter 100% support and they are the victims...the Nurse took the easy way out and for what?

As I said..."What has society become?"

Well, the nurse is to blame for killing herself, unless she blamed some one else which is what I'm trying to find out.

The Nurse imo was rather selfish. Knowingly she would leave grieving children wondering all their lives, asking questions why she would take her own life basically questions they'll never have an answer to. The easy escape would be to just blame the Pranksters.

I have no sympathy for the pranksters however no matter what sob story they are reading from <insert script here> or amount of crying they do humiliation isn't a very admirable quality to possess. They now reap what they sow.

Sympathies Go out to the family.

Top Bottom