TPU: Detect and Block Spam Registrations

TPU: Detect and Block Spam Registrations 1.6.6

No permission to download
Hi @W1zzard, thanks for the great addon!

After I installed this addon today, I'm getting the following kind of reports in "Spam Trigger Log"

Is this normal?

The posts are from already previously registered and approved members, so the TPU Detect addon shouldn't even be interfering, right?

Before installing the addon, this didn't happen.

Code:
Action: Moderated -
Generated By: kikuli, A moment ago, Content: post (87256)

Request State
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(88) "http://www.****.com/threads/****.7591/add-reply"
  ["referrer"] => string(79) "http://www.****.com/threads/****.7591/"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/threads/****_7591/add-reply"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(9) {
    ["message_html"] => string(651) "<p>Hello all, I really appreciate your replies. &nbsp;I am willing to listen and try anything to help. &nbsp;I have never done it before in my lifetime, so I know there's a problem. I will be confirming it soon. &nbsp;</p>"
    ["_xfRelativeResolver"] => string(79) "http://www.****.com/threads/****.7591/"
    ["attachment_hash"] => string(32) "f17569f085fe253f4958b310abfd9100"
    ["last_date"] => string(10) "1419900916"
    ["last_known_date"] => string(10) "1419900916"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(52) "/threads/****.7591/"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

The addon creates a new useer group permission "TPU: Detect Spam Reg - Moderate all posts:". This should be set to grey for all groups.

Any chance you changed that to green, so it is active for all or some users?

Once the addon determines a user should have all his new posts moderated, it will set that one individual user's permission to green, which means all his posts get moderated.

The addon creates a new useer group permission "TPU: Detect Spam Reg - Moderate all posts:". This should be set to grey for all groups.

Any chance you changed that to green, so it is active for all or some users?

Once the addon determines a user should have all his new posts moderated, it will set that one individual user's permission to green, which means all his posts get moderated.
No, didn't touch the TPU permission at all.

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 11.37.11.webp

Also, there are other stuff in the Spam Trigger Log now as well (after installing TPU Detect):

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 11.38.19.webp

And what's interesting is that none of these actually triggered the content to go into moderation queue.

So it's only a logging issue, as far as I can tell?

I can see in the Spam Trigger Log that one new user has already registered and since the score was below the moderation/reject limit, they were approved automatically.

So the registration function works.

But I really wouldn't like to see these "profile_post, post, thread" things in the log. As they are false information (the content didn't go into moderation).

Do you have any addon that could be related to these entries? Maybe there is some interaction between that addon and mine. Feel free to pm me your addon list in private.

Our site owner has this installed and I haven't had a chance to talk with him about it yet. Is there a log that I can view to see who was rejected, who was approved, who needed approval, etc?

Our site owner has this installed and I haven't had a chance to talk with him about it yet. Is there a log that I can view to see who was rejected, who was approved, who needed approval, etc?
You will need AdminCP access.

Spam trigger log (Tools -> Logs sidebar) shows past approvals and rejections.

"Users Awaiting Approval" shows current pending users.

i cannot install this addone on 1.4.3 it brings me to addone install page it doesn't even rebuild templates.. and when i try to do manually it doesn't do it properly the phrases are all messed up. the whole thing is a mess:

28035de5da4feae8c58a3d20cf12e159.gif

i had rebuild 2 -3 times manually b4 it properly built.. and this is the first time only with this plugin

i did.. and it never installed i even tried via the link. like i usually do and it didn't do anything. it uploaded files but ignored the XML.

it all ok now but it strange..

had to manually go to controls on the plugin and press on rebuild then it took

so how would i configure this to block all proxies? and VPN's? i used to use the TAC stop county spam but it got to unstable and hand been updated for a long time. it mostly blocked legit users form registering.

By default it is already configured to block the most popular VPN/proxy hosting companies, you have to watch the spam trigger logs for your visitor patterns and add new entries.

Unfortunately there is no magical way to block all proxies and VPN, because the well-configured ones can't be detected.

Thank you for this terrific addon. I love the granularity it provides.

Many people have reported increasing spam recently from Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL) IP#s like this one:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/39.46.81.58

I thought I'd share what I'm doing in case it helps someone. I'd also appreciate feedback regarding whether I'm doing it right.

I was able to look up the AS Number of PTCL by entering one of their IP#s into the search box on the following page:
http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/as
It turns out that they have two AS Numbers.

I added the following to the AS Name section of the options page in order to reject all signups from that ISP:
reject|45595
reject|17557​

Once profile spammers from them become less regular, I'll probably change it to:
+3|45595
+3|17557​

Feedback appreciated! Let's block these scum.

That's exactly how it works. You can also put the AS name instead of the number, or even just the start of the AS name, this should solve the problem with multiple entries and will also be more readable.

PTCL is a pretty big ISP with lots of normal users (if you have any from this region). I'm using "moderate" on PK/IN/TH/CN/BD so mods have to manually approve posts but legit users won't be rejected.

Top Bottom