Too many choices, please help!!

TJA

I have decided to move from shared hosting to Cloud VPS.

Going through the order I come across the choose your OS bit :confused:

What do I choose, what is best, what is more user friendly?

Linux or Windows? Let's say Linux...

Debian 6 or 7, Ruby, Release3, cPanel, Ubuntu 13.10/14.04, Drupal, Lamp, Centos 6 or Parallels Plesk 11.5.30 / Parallels Plesk 12 on Centos 6

aaaarrrggghhh, I've heard many people mention CentOS is the one to go for, so would I be better going for that or having the advantage of Parallels Plesk 12 on Centos 6

Your advice is greatly appreciated, I'm hoping to complete my order today.

My 2 cents... and in order of MY preference
#1 Debian Wheezy (makes for easy version upgrades of OS)
#2 centOS (to do a correct version upgrade you usually have to reinstall the entire OS)

Plesk is simply a panel... and for me, it uses more resources than it's worth.

Do you need a panel to manage your sites? If so go for plesk/cpanel whichever your more comfortable with using.

If not, then go for CentOS 6 :)

Thanks for the replies so far.

@Slavik I only intend to run one site from there, so would that make plesk/cpanel irrelevant? and just use the front end the host provides

So i guess it's narrowed down to 2, Debian 7 or CentOS 6, is there much difference? is one easier to manage than the other?

Preference really.

If your hosting just the one site dont bother with a panel, check the resource manager for my server setup guide, gives you an idea of how easy it is to go on CentOS, it was written for noobs to get a feel for it.

Thanks @Slavik on it now, will have a good read, that's the kind of guide I like, especially being a noob to this kind of thing!!

Preference really.

If your hosting just the one site dont bother with a panel, check the resource manager for my server setup guide, gives you an idea of how easy it is to go on CentOS, it was written for noobs to get a feel for it.
@Slavik, do you mention the re-install when a new version comes out and you want to upgrade your OS? :p

Really, like Slavik says, it's personal preference (like Ford vs Chevy). Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. If you are already somewhat familiar with Debian then that might be the better choice. If you are not, then flip a coin!

Just to add if I was to go for Parallels Plesk 12 on CentOS 6 64bit the licence is free so is it worth having that on there anyway? can you still set it up through root?

Apologies for the questions just need to get it right in my head before clicking the buy button

Just to add if I was to go for Parallels Plesk 12 on CentOS 6 64bit the licence is free so is it worth having that on there anyway? can you still set it up through root?

Apologies for the questions just need to get it right in my head before clicking the buy button
If you are not going to use it, realize it uses up your system resources even if you are not utilizing it.
I'm sure if you decided you didn't need it, it would not be THAT difficult to remove.

Plesk uses very little resources, so you may as well go for it because it's free. Always been my favorite.
I use CentOS 6.4 + Plesk 12 on all of my servers (except one).

Top Bottom