1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TONMO.com: The Octopus News Magazine Online

Discussion in 'Forum Showcase and Critiques' started by tonmo, Apr 5, 2015.

1. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

...is a site about octopus, squid, cuttlefish and nautilus (i.e., cephalopods). Anything / everything to do with them, but it is primarily focused on biology, behavior, and cephalopod-keeping. Launched in May 2000. Started with some little-known forum software, then went to phpbb, then for almost 10 years it was vbulletin. A little less than 2 years ago we switched to xenforo... should have switched sooner! Vb4 was really messing up the community. XF is the best.

https://www.tonmo.com/

2. big-k

big-k Member

I like the Tabs (Latest Posts, New Threads, etc). How did you achieve that?

3. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

Thanks! The front page is just using a Page Widget within bd-widget framework, and that area is using a widget group. The Page Widget layout feature is tricky (and a bit buggy) but I understand the new beta version has a much more intuitive approach for this; drag and drop. I'm waiting on that to make some further changes to the homepage but will keep the tabbed approach. Note, all contents load with each page load.

big-k likes this.
  4. keith.arvixe

keith.arvixe Active Member

You have most defiantly created a niche here. I didn't even know that communities like this existed and now I do. Great stuff. I love the banner and how it flows the whole top of the pages.
    I love the default page and how the latest,top etc post are there. Makes it easy to find the best and latest posts.
    Overall I really like it.

tonmo likes this.
  5. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

Cool, thanks! Definitely a niche, but once you're in, it's a vast landscape! (or seascape as it were...)

6. keith.arvixe

keith.arvixe Active Member

Haha that is awesome.

7. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

Update 11/9/15:

I have removed the [bd] widget framework add-on, and the sonnb xengallery in favor of custom XF pages and XFMG.

So, less add-ons, more custom core. Homepage will need a bit further customizing but it's a start:
    https://www.tonmo.com/community/