Titles Containing The Word Advertisement/Advertising Will Face Problems

Divvens

So, I recently had a issue on my forum where a user created the thread, with a title "Chrome opening advertising sites when idle"

The funny thing is, ad-blocking add-ons for Chrome were blocking any and all script trying to run in that thread, like, edit, add reply, even the 3 share buttons weren't showing. Because the title contained the word "Advertising"

Before you think its due to custom filters, this happened to 3 different users, who aren't using the same settings/filters. This is what Chrome Dev tools showed when add reply button was being clicked (other buttons had the same result appearing)
IMG_05032014_215140.webp

Since this isn't a issue with XenForo, I'm creating this in the forum management thread so that other forum admins could be aware of this, and if users report not being able to post on some thread properly and that you "add reply" button does nothing, well, you know whats the issue! Not sure if this is an issue with only one ad-blocking software or multiple, or even if its cross browser, but it certain is a problem with Chrome + AdBlockerPlus/AdBlocker.

Let's see if this issue repeats itself here on this thread on XenForo, if you can't reply when you click "add reply" and have add-block enabled on XenForo, disable it and try to post.

Yep, happens on XenForo's company forums as well! Since the title contains the word "Advertising/advertisement" you gotta disable ad-block to be able to post.
XenForo.webp

You have an ad blocker installed.
That is standard behaviour.
We frequently get threads and tickets about it.

You have an ad blocker installed.
That is standard behaviour.
We frequently get threads and tickets about it.
Yep, I am aware. Wasn't reporting this as a issue at all :) Since I know it isn't XenForo, was just informing other forum admins of the problem so that they (unknowing ones) know how to deal with such issues, and thus posted this in forum management!

I'm having irregular issues with pockets of users complaining that they are un-expectantly being logged-out and having to re-logon again. Actively browsing/reading/posting on the site constantly for the last 10-20 mins, and then wham! all of a sudden being logged out for no known reason. I think it may be ad-blocking or AV software too, and this idea of it being triggered based on content keywords would explain it. Would this sort of client add-on blocking generally also cause the logout experience?

It shouldn't be causing logout issues.
Generally the problems happen when you try to execute a 'post' function, such as replying to a thread.

I know the thread is old but is there no way to make it so that adblocker doesn't mess with urls that have the word ad or advertisement in them?

Top Bottom