Time to reconsider my Hosting spec

Jon12345

I am coming up to my annual renewal for my hosting with KH. Currently, I am paying $1,152 p.a. (which includes the 30% lifetime discount) for the following:

MVPS-3 server:
4 Core CPU Processor
8 GB Guaranteed RAM
150 GB Raid-10 SSD Storage
4 TB Premium Bandwidth
2 IPv4 Addresses
cPanel
Managed
LiteSpeed Webserver Enterprise - Ultra VPS License + LS Cache
Softaculous

My forum typically gets 300 to 500 people on there at any one time. And I like a nice speedy site.

Some thoughts I am having are:
  • Do I really need litespeed? It is costly! Or should I use an alternative way to give my site some zip?
  • Do I need cpanel or should I switch to DirectAdmin?
  • If I went for DirectAdmin, it supports OpenLitespeed. But OpenLitespeed means not htaccess? WTF??
  • Should I go for a high frequency NVMe VPS instead?
  • Should I be using Redis and the Xon plugin instead of litespeed?

Lots of questions and thoughts I am pondering, but lacking in answers because I don't know enough about it.

Anyone here care to chip in? What would you do regarding hosting if you were in my position? And also which host would you recommend?

Last edited:
Do I really need litespeed? It is costly!

"need" is dependent upon a multitude of factors. It's quite cheap if you only have a couple of sites. Their 5-domain license is only $10/mo.

Do I need cpanel or should I switch to DirectAdmin?

DirectAdmin! I'm betting you spend time working on your site, not working within cPanel. Behind the scenes DA will do just as good of a job and in some cases, a better job all while saving you money!

Should I go for a high frequency NVMe VPS instead?

Yes, PHP is single-threaded and benefits from CPUs with higher instructions per clock (IPC) and high frequency CPUs.

Should I be using Redis and the Xon plugin instead of litespeed?

They do different jobs. Litespeed Cache is a front-end cache whereas Redis works behind the scenes. You should use both if possible.

I have a dedi. 4c8t i7, 32Gb Ram, 8TB disk space, 100TB premium bandwidth on a 1Gbps dedicated uplink for 35 a month.

I think you’re getting ripped off.

When I migrated a few months ago I learned about Litespeed's new licensing options and cut my monthly costs in half. At least the licensing options were new to me ;)

I have a dedi. 4c8t i7, 32Gb Ram, 8TB disk space, 100TB premium bandwidth on a 1Gbps dedicated uplink for 35 a month.

I think you’re getting ripped off.
That sounds like a great deal. Where you getting that from? I'll explore the options.

Top Bottom