Thunderstorms Discussion Thread

Amaury

So we've had a lot rain this summer, which is unusual for us because we're kind of considered a "desert" here in Ellensburg, and we've currently got a thunderstorm going on right now.

While I used to be scared of them when I was a little kid, I personally love thunderstorms now! We had a pretty good one the night of September 5 that lasted about five hours, although our area only got about an hour of it. It was so much that streets were flooded.

What about you guys?

Nah don't like em.

D.C.-derecho-620x394.jpg

130729-weather-nc-430a.photoblog600.jpg

Oh, wow. Was this a hurricane or tornado, then, or just an incredibly powerful, but normal, thunderstorm?
Tornado... very typical in April when you live around Tornado Alley. We also frequently get 60+ MPH straight line winds from thunderstorms (sometimes upwards of 80). Straight line winds are not to be confused with derechos - which only occur about once a year.

Tornado... very typical in April when you live around Tornado Alley. We also frequently get 60+ MPH straight line winds from thunderstorms (sometimes upwards of 80). Straight line winds are not to be confused with derechos - which only occur about once a year.

Well, I know derecho is Spanish for right, but we're not talking about directions here, obviously, haha!

What are derechos?

Love em. Remember being caught in a tropical storm in Barbados (downgraded from Hurricane 3 hours before it hit us) and the constant lightning was incredible.

When I hear that rumble of thunder in the distance now, the camera comes out in the hope I'll manage to catch a good lightning flash

Love em. Remember being caught in a tropical storm in Barbados (downgraded from Hurricane 3 hours before it hit us) and the constant lightning was incredible.

When I hear that rumble of thunder in the distance now, the camera comes out in the hope I'll manage to catch a good lightning flash
I like them myself. Still go out whenever I hear one coming. Just don't particularly like them in the spring.

map_tropprjpath10_ltst_5nhato_enus_650x366.jpg

2/3 of our staff has to fly from Tampico to Mexico City tomorrow because we have coverage of a live event at Panamá. I´m already at Mexico City, even if they let them fly I put myself in their place and I would be scared to fly on such weather. We´ll just have to wait and see how it goes.

I'm from the prairies and we get thunderstorms regularly all summer long. It's fun to sit on the porch and watch the light show. Luckily, tornadoes are very rare for us so all we really get is a great light show with a short, but very heavy rain and occasional hail.

Though I could see people not liking them in some areas if there's significant damage/mess to clean up afterwards.

They're a pain here in Texas. This was in April 2012 in Dallas.
View attachment 56717
Here is that same storm, from my front porch. It was a contributing factor to moving to San Antonio. Its not the first time I’ve seen a tornado on the ground within 2 miles of my doorstep

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Top Bottom