thumbs up/down counters for the suggestion forum?

Wired

That way if there's a good idea, but a poster doesn't want to bother or doesn't have time to respond to it, they can say yea or nay. A mini poll if you will. It'll also give the devs a quick way to see which threads have the most interest even if they don't have 20 pages of content.

Thats what the like feature is for.

Having a negative response (Thumbs down, dislike) is easily abused by most communities.

This isn't most communities though :) Can't say I've seen any flame wars as of yet. It was solely recommended to save the devs some time and hence get some action / sleep :)

This isn't most communities though :) Can't say I've seen any flame wars as of yet. It was solely recommended to save the devs some time and hence get some action / sleep :)

This place, perhaps not, but this feature wouldn't be just for this place. Any feature here would be used in all XF installations. I believe the idea is to have the features here similar to what you'd find in a regular installation.

I think the developers have a pretty good handle on things though. :) They're just overwhelmed as they didn't intend for this big of an opening yet.

What, Kier can't mod his own forum now? :)

Back at vBulletin, vB ran was a "clean" install to show off to possible customers things that could be done with vB by default. I imagine the same approach is taken here. :)

Back at vBulletin, vB ran was a "clean" install to show off to possible customers things that could be done with vB by default. I imagine the same approach is taken here. :)

Which is how it should be. You really don't want the main official site to show off some features that don't exist in the core. Newbie potential customers might complain later otherwise.

getting rather tired of having the 'possibility of abuse' being used as an excuse to nix suggestions. id LOVE to have thumbs up/down option, or the ability to add 'dislike' and such.
stop thinking you need to nanny my boards. i am the admin there and am capable of managing my own communities.

Well a simple quick fix would be to put a poll on each suggestion with 2 options; Yes, No

If dislikes or thumbs down is ever implemented I would hope that can be disabled and just the likes left.

getting rather tired of having the 'possibility of abuse' being used as an excuse to nix suggestions. id LOVE to have thumbs up/down option, or the ability to add 'dislike' and such.
stop thinking you need to nanny my boards. i am the admin there and am capable of managing my own communities.
Kier himself said it wouldn't be added (Dislike).

I am only saying why it wasn't added.

I'm sure we'll have XF.com and XFmods.com (or something similar).

Modifications like dislike and thumbs up/down should remain that; modifications. The core functionality is being designed with the majority in mind and thumbs up is similar to 'like' and thumbs down is nothing. Most users will reply to a post expressing why they like/dislike something, that doesn't mean dislike features should be added by default :)

tbh, if i have to keep turning to mods and template hacks for simple functionality like additional 'like' buttons, i may as well use the board with the greatest number of available mods; vB.
imo 'it may cause flame wars' and similar are poor reasons to ditch out-of-the-box features.
i'll take take care of my own community, just give me the tools.

tbh, if i have to keep turning to mods and template hacks for simple functionality like additional 'like' buttons, i may as well use the board with the greatest number of available mods; vB.
imo 'it may cause flame wars' and similar are poor reasons to ditch out-of-the-box features.
i'll take take care of my own community, just give me the tools.

You often have to do this anyways with vBulletin (There is no built-in like system, and certainly not a dislike system!).

No one has said not to use it, and I've only supplied reasons why it wasn't added.

Top Bottom