Threadloom Search for XenForo 1.5.x [Deleted]

Thanks all for your patience! Alyssa here, one of the engineers at Threadloom, with an update. I'm a little long-winded about technical things, so forgive the long update :).

Our team has been doing several things to avoid this situation in the future, and I want to give you some details.

1st, we determined that the cause of issues with saving posts yesterday was high latency to our real-time search index. We use real-time updates to ensure that our search index is fresh and shows results for the latest posts.

Due to the reported issues, we have a new plug-in up (2.0.8) which does 2 important things:
  1. Ensures we only perform these real-time updates after the database transactions that save the posts. This means we should never interrupt the saving of forum visitors' posts and you shouldn't see any more "lock wait timeout exceeded" errors in your console.
  2. Sets a timeout on real-time API calls so that even if our API is slow, it won't degrade the user experience.
2nd, we beefed up our backends and monitoring so that we can avoid future outages.

3rd, we're continuing to investigate reports of search slowness. Based on our logs, we saw a spike in page load time overall yesterday, but today it looks like things are back to normal. But please drop us a line if you want us to check your site out specifically.

We're continuing to work on making search even faster. When we launched new filters back in May (plug-in v2.0.6), we made some changes that offloaded most search requests from your servers to talk to our APIs directly, which lightens the load on your servers and speeds things up. We hope to continue reducing our server footprint and making things speedier.

On behalf of the team here, I apologize for the issues you experienced. We're grateful for each of your forums – not just for being Threadloom customers, but also for what you do for each of your communities. We're going to keep working on delivering the best forum search.

P.S. For those who are waiting before turning Threadloom back on, you can also check things out for yourself using the search preview link that you received when your index was complete. If things don't look good to you, drop us a line!

threadloom updated Threadloom Site Search with a new update entry:

2.0.8 – released 2017-06-13

Better handling of real-time index update requests for new and edited threads and posts. Better ensures that site performance does not degrade due to API backend latency or outages.

New:
  • Real-time index update requests run only after a XenForo database transaction completes.
  • Real-time index update API request length is capped so forum visitors don't experience delays when saving changes.
Fixes:
  • Corrects an error message sent to Threadloom when the plug-in...

Read the rest of this update entry...

threadloom updated Threadloom Site Search with a new update entry:

All versions: Image search

Image search is now available for all Threadloom customers.
  • If you’re already using Threadloom, just install the latest plug-in from the Threadloom Portal (v2.0.6 or later for XenForo, v2.0.8 or later for vBulletin). Then, in the Portal, go to Search Settings and turn on Image Search. Just like with its sister feature, Custom Search Tabs, there is no additional charge for Image Search – they’re both included in...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi Threadloom, I just upgraded and Image Search Works great!

My only criticism is that the users will need to find the "Images" link/tab.

What would be awesome is that somewhere in the search results you had a preview of the first 4 or 5 images from an image search embedded above or within the Posts results.

You could also include a link that says: "Click here to see all image search results..." or something similar.

Otherwise, without me pointing it out to members, I'm not sure they will ever discover this new feature.....

Thanks for improving an already great product!

That's pretty cool, how does it work exactly?

Using the baby boots example listed from your blog it seems that the first image doesn't have a natural language file name or alt tag, the image isn't hosted on that specific post - it's linked, the only baby reference is the username of the person who posted the link, and the only similarity to boots is the word shoes in the post. Yet the result is a good match for baby boots! It's quite impressive.

That's pretty cool, how does it work exactly?

Using the baby boots example listed from your blog it seems that the first image doesn't have a natural language file name or alt tag, the image isn't hosted on that specific post - it's linked, the only baby reference is the username of the person who posted the link, and the only similarity to boots is the word shoes in the post. Yet the result is a good match for baby boots! It's quite impressive.

Computer vision.

:eek:

Awesome!

Does it use the Google Vision API?

How does it learn for niche images? Does it learn to associate the images in threads with the content of the posts around it?

Hi Threadloom, I just upgraded and Image Search Works great!

My only criticism is that the users will need to find the "Images" link/tab.

What would be awesome is that somewhere in the search results you had a preview of the first 4 or 5 images from an image search embedded above or within the Posts results.

You could also include a link that says: "Click here to see all image search results..." or something similar.

Otherwise, without me pointing it out to members, I'm not sure they will ever discover this new feature.....

Thanks for improving an already great product!

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion @CivilWarTalk. I think you're probably right wrt discoverability and CTR. We'd like to do universal search like you suggest. It will take a little bit of elbow grease to do it well, but we'll talk about it here and keep you and the others here updated.

BTW, I love seeing TL on CWT. You have such a great forum and it's really fun to search through and discover the amazing content in your forum!

Hi @threadloom,

Thinking of trying this out, looks great!

The custom tabs feature looks really great too to distinguish searches (as I'm also using WP for a blog)

Does the Image Search also return results for Blog pages or is it just forum results only?

Hey @Optic, that would be super cool if you did!

Image search by default returns image for the forum, but if you email us, we can configure it to return images for your entire site.

Top Bottom