Thread Level Permissions (AKA: Private Threads) [Deleted]

Very nice addon! Just 1 little question. It seems like that the other admins can't see a private node when I create one. Can I somewhere declare which usergroup can see no matter what the private nodes?

Regards :)

Edit: Maybe in addition, is it possible to add complete taggable groups in a private thread?

Last edited:
Are you creating a private node to post your private threads in? That would kinda defeat the purpose of private threads, which are private regardless of what node they're posted in. Posting a private thread in a private node would limit participants to those who have access to the private node itself.

When you make a node private, nobody can see it unless you explicitly give them permission to do so (either user level permissions or by usergroup).

upload_2016-9-20_8-42-45.webp

Nono I mean a private thread. I added 3 people to the private thread and assumed the admins would see it aswell. But that is not the case :(

Administrators should be able to see private threads. They can on TAZ. It's built into the add-on - see the note posted under "Features" on the Overview page.

Administrators should be able to see private threads. They can on TAZ. It's built into the add-on - see the note posted under "Features" on the Overview page.

Aaah okay. That means administrator in terms the admin panel right? Cause we have also a usergroup which is called "Admins"

So no way that you can add complete usergroups to a private thread? Because once you have somebody who is no longer involved into it I have to edit 10-20 threads and strike his name out.

Aaah okay. That means administrator in terms the admin panel right? Cause we have also a usergroup which is called "Admins"
Yes, they must be defined as an administrator in the user tab, Administrators section. A user group doesn't make them administrators.
So no way that you can add complete usergroups to a private thread? Because once you have somebody who is no longer involved into it I have to edit 10-20 threads and strike his name out.
No, you can't add whole user groups.

The only way you would have to edit 10 to 20 threads is if the user is no longer involved in all of those threads.

That could easier be done by using user groups and private nodes. But it would require admin actions, whereas private threads are member controlled - in fact that's the whole point.

Well basically we created a Steward Panel where normal members can report incidents. Once they have done it, we add admins and stewards to the thread and make it private. In this way we can talk privately privatly with the involved members without any comments from outside members.

Now once someone do not want to be steward anymore, therefore I have to remove his name out of every thread where he was. And if we get a new steward, I have to add him to all existent threads. Hope you can understand it now a little bit^^

Well basically we created a Steward Panel where normal members can report incidents. Once they have done it, we add admins and stewards to the thread and make it private. In this way we can talk privately privatly with the involved members without any comments from outside members.

Now once someone do not want to be steward anymore, therefore I have to remove his name out of every thread where he was. And if we get a new steward, I have to add him to all existent threads. Hope you can understand it now a little bit^^
Well, that might be a problem. The only person that can make a thread private is the one that started the thread. And the only one that can invite or remove members from the thread is the person that started the thread.

Administrators only have access for monitoring purposes to be sure nothing illegal is taking place. Other than that, they have no power over what members can view the thread.

Last edited:
As I said above, you can easily accomplish this using user groups and node permissions.

In your "Incident" node, set the user group permissions for Registered members to this:

upload_2016-9-20_11-15-41.webp

And your Administrator and "Steward" group permissions to this:

upload_2016-9-20_11-17-58.webp

And finally your Unregistered/Unconfirmed group to this (assuming you don't want them to see this node at all):

upload_2016-9-20_11-19-44.webp

Now, any member can see the node and post a thread (i.e. Incident) there, but they will only see the threads they themselves have started. Only members of the Administrator and Steward groups will be able to see threads that were started by any member. As you add and remove members to the Administrator and Steward group their access will automatically follow the usergroup/node permissions. Easy Peazy. We use this functionality on TAZ for our "Account Help Desk" forum BTW.

Yep that works. We are a simracing community which means on an incident we have to add a second or third member to conversation. That was basically the problem we had.

That kinda solves snogs plug in because u can just invite everyone you need. I just thought groups would be faster an easier to add and remove.

I really like ur solution but I don't think u can add with that way additional members to a thread to for example explain himself or?

Very interested in this mod.

Quick question - Do Threads and messages count towards to the forum Discussions & Messages total? If not, is there an easy way to allow them to count?

how about a permission to only see the thread title without giving the permission to read the content and the possibility for members to ask to be invited?

how about a permission to only see the thread title without giving the permission to read the content and the possibility for members to ask to be invited?
Showing the title would defeat the purpose of the add-on. The purpose of it is so nobody except those participating in the thread know it exists.

Members can already be added to those that can see the thread at any time.

Before I buy and implement this on my site, I was just wondering if the below is possible.

When you create a new thread there is a tick box regarding receiving email notifications. Is there a way of removing that option for people using private threads?

I want to get people away from trading via PM to stop the vast amount of email notifications - but fear moving them over to private threads, they will just tick that box to receive email notifications and i'll be back at square one!

Before I buy and implement this on my site, I was just wondering if the below is possible.

When you create a new thread there is a tick box regarding receiving email notifications. Is there a way of removing that option for people using private threads?

I want to get people away from trading via PM to stop the vast amount of email notifications - but fear moving them over to private threads, they will just tick that box to receive email notifications and i'll be back at square one!
It doesn't override the user's preferences for alerts or watched threads/forums.

If the user is watching the forum and has email set as their preference, they will receive the email. The same goes for a thread, if they are watching a thread with email as their preference, then they will receive the email alert.

It doesn't override the user's preferences for alerts or watched threads/forums.

If the user is watching the forum and has email set as their preference, they will receive the email. The same goes for a thread, if they are watching a thread with email as their preference, then they will receive the email alert.

Would there be a way of hiding the tick box and text saying "and receive email notifications" - That way members can't tick it and receive them.

Top Bottom