This Pressure to go to SSL is intense!

I can deal with Chrome's more low-key approach, but all firefox has done is incite panic--it is not their place to "educate" visitors in this manner. So now, in addition to having to deal with tech issues on all of the sites I manage, I now have to do damage control with visitors (and especially forum users) to let them know what is going on (what the error means, how SSL works, etc.). Even despite my saying they've logged in like this for 15-20 years on our sites, they all of a sudden feel "dirty" and get the feeling they are being hacked this very minute. I'm tired of it.

I'm also getting the impression Let's Encrypt is not all it's cracked up to be...but I won't say anything further until I read more reliable sources. I'm going to hold off on using it for anything important.

I'm also getting the impression Let's Encrypt is not all it's cracked up to be...but I won't say anything further until I read more reliable sources. I'm going to hold off on using it for anything important.
I'm using it on a few of my sites, and have had no issues with it (no renewal problems, etc). One "issue" may be some of the ones that use panels. I'm a pure CLI admin, so I manually control the processes of issuance requests/renewals.

I'm using it on a few of my sites, and have had no issues with it (no renewal problems, etc). One "issue" may be some of the ones that use panels. I'm a pure CLI admin, so I manually control the processes of issuance requests/renewals.
I have the same experience. And don't use a control panel for my vps.

To be honest, the only few things I see people mention as 'the bad things with let's encrypt' is that it implies security, and implies that the site is verified. And it makes bad sites look more trustworthy. But my sites aren't here for malicious reasons, I still am who I say I am. And it's mainly for the encryption and having a green lock in the bar for domain validation.

Last edited:
My host uses "Let's Encrypt" yet i issue the ceritifcate to my domain name and it still doesn't show up as secure or HTTPS for that matter, not sure why or how to resolve this, but it's quite annoying.

Shared, my host is Hawkhost. :)
Yeah, shared is difficult, because it's one ip shared with many others, and lack of CLI (mainly root access)

Thankfully these days (unless you want to get managed hosting) a vps is the same cost as a shared plan.
It just depends on your desired feature list.

Yeah, shared is difficult, because it's one ip shared with many others, and lack of CLI (mainly root access)

Thankfully these days (unless you want to get managed hosting) a vps is the same cost as a shared plan.
It just depends on your desired feature list.
Might keep that in consideration if we outgrow our Shared provider. :)

Top Bottom