This Heat is Terrible

jmurrayhead

We've been hit by a terrible heat wave in the eastern US. It's 08:00 and already 81 F/ 27 C here in DC. We're supposed to have a high of 103 F/ 39 C...but with the humidity it will feel like 115 F/ 46 C.

Yesterday I was pretty brave and fired up the grill. Within seconds I had worked up a sweat from just walking around on my deck. I really wanted a cheeseburger :D

We were at the beach on Sunday and had to leave after 30 minutes due to gale force winds and driving rain :D

Whose bright idea was it to go to the beach? ;)

Driving from London to Reading on Saturday there was torrential rain and I had to slow right down at one point as visibility was so bad.

It's finally cooling off here (Racine, WI) Wed. was 104 F with a "feels like" temp of 119F and today we actually got some rain..:)

We've been hit by a terrible heat wave in the eastern US. It's 08:00 and already 81 F/ 27 C here in DC. We're supposed to have a high of 103 F/ 39 C...but with the humidity it will feel like 115 F/ 46 C.

Yesterday I was pretty brave and fired up the grill. Within seconds I had worked up a sweat from just walking around on my deck. I really wanted a cheeseburger :D

It ain't just the east coast darlin. Yesterday we hit 96° here in Ohio, with heat index of 105°. Only 93 today. Whoopie doo. When it get's this hot, 3° doesn't make any difference.
By tomorrow, I can promise you, I'll be begging for cold and snow. I can not stand heat, especially not this hot.

Somewhere in Minnesota it reached 113° yesterday. :confused:

ugh ugh ugh
wpml_fainting.gif

It ain't just the east coast darlin. Yesterday we hit 96° here in Ohio, with heat index of 105°. Only 93 today. Whoopie doo. When it get's this hot, 3° doesn't make any difference.
By tomorrow, I can promise you, I'll be begging for cold and snow. I can not stand heat, especially not this hot.

ugh ugh ugh
wpml_fainting.gif
Oh I know. I wasn't specifically saying the coast, but the whole eastern side of the US. I know that, technically, you guys are considered the mid-west...which never made any sense to me.

I like heat...just not this much. Gimme 80's any day :)

Oh I know. I wasn't specifically saying the coast, but the whole eastern side of the US. I know that, technically, you guys are considered the mid-west...which never made any sense to me.

I like heat...just not this much. Gimme 80's any day :)

yeah I don't get why they call us midwest either. Go figure.

Whereas its been mostly cool this summer for CA...

Though we had that ridiculous 100+ Weather in the Winter :rolleyes:.

yeah I don't get why they call us midwest either. Go figure.
That's because anything that wasn't an original colony isn't allowed to be in the east :P But seriously this heat can knock down a notch or two anytime now. Chicago has been just as bad :/

Not yours, right? :LOL:

We're supposed to have thunderstorms tomorrow. It's going to be a hot, humid, weekend. :(

It's been between 100-115 every day here in Kansas for over a month and a half. Worse thing. It hasn't rained once. Everything is dying and the non-irrigated crops are a total loss. 4th of July fireworks were banned for the first time in decades.

Never, can I remember such sustained heat without rain.

Stay-cool tips from an Arkansas farmer

Douglas Holmstrom, a 67-year-old businessman and cattle farmer in Lonoke County, tells the BBC:
  • When doing outdoor construction work, keep the tools in the shade so they don't burn your hands
  • Start work early in the day
  • Wear a wet rag around your neck
  • "I wear a straw hat, I take plenty of breaks, and I make sure to work with somebody most of the time. You have to watch out for one another"
  • Don't get too used to the air conditioning: "The kids these days are so tuned to TV and to doing their games, they can't deal with the heat. If you stay outside and you're used to it, you can deal with it"
  • Eat fresh vegetables and fruits - stay away from greasy food

What on earth is the BBC doing putting that on the main article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14238358

Stay-cool tips from an Arkansas farmer

Douglas Holmstrom, a 67-year-old businessman and cattle farmer in Lonoke County, tells the BBC:
  • When doing outdoor construction work, keep the tools in the shade so they don't burn your hands
  • Start work early in the day
  • Wear a wet rag around your neck
  • "I wear a straw hat, I take plenty of breaks, and I make sure to work with somebody most of the time. You have to watch out for one another"
  • Don't get too used to the air conditioning: "The kids these days are so tuned to TV and to doing their games, they can't deal with the heat. If you stay outside and you're used to it, you can deal with it"
  • Eat fresh vegetables and fruits - stay away from greasy food
What on earth is the BBC doing putting that on the main article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14238358
What, you thought there was actually important stuff going on in the world!?

Top Bottom